Detroit Locker in a 90

So I'm getting a rear locker soon and humming and hawing about putting in a Detroit.

Could anyone who has a 90 with a Detroit in the rear give me there impressions of the locker and any bad points that you have found.

PLEASE - Do NOT post unless your information is first hand and it is to do with a 90. :P

Yes, yes, I have searched and read everything written on the subject and have chatted with locals that have the locker (in other type of rigs). I would just like first hand impression from people that have been running in a full time, SWB, manual tranny rig.

I have a detroit locker in my 90, but I've not driven it yet :P

Before I got it SimonR had it in the back of his 90 and seemed to quite like it, said he only took it out to fit an ARB cos he wanted fiddle brakes which would be interesting with a Detroit. Prior to that it was fitted in Chris Watt's 90 and he took it out to fit an ARB too. Maybe they will add some comments.

Sorry this isn't really first hand but at least it's about 90's :rolleyes:

I have a Detroit locker in the back axle of my TD5 90. Previously I had one in my 200Tdi Disco for yonks.

They are great bits of kit and I rate them highly.

When I was about to fit the locker to the 90 I was getting tales of doom about handling on tarmac and that 100 inch was the shortest you should go. I have to say that this has turned out to be false. In general driving conditions you do not know it is there. Some people report their truck twitching at the back going from power to overun and vica versa when entering a bend. I get none of this. I put it down to the fact that I run standard suspension (including anti roll bar) and the radius arm bushes are in good nick. Very occassionally it will let out a bit of a clang if it gets confused but even then you do not feel it through the steering/handling. If you drive on full lock with the window down you can here the click of the ramp cams indexing but this is re-assuring as it is an easy way of checking you have both halfshafts in tact!

Off road they are just the same as any other locker in terms of getting through when an open diff will get you stuck. The only off road issue I have with it is on thin slippery mud. The locker (not surprisingly ) is locked and pushes you straight forward....even when you want to go round a corner! However, backing off the throttle usually allows you to regain control. My problem is, I think, exacerbated by running AT tyres in mud. A set of MTs and the next part of my plan (a Truetrac in the front) should help.

The Detroit I had in the Disco was still going strong last I heard of it 3 years after I sold it having done 100,000k on the Locker myself.....very strong bits of kit!

BTW I only use standard halfshafts and have never broken one.

I've got one in the back of my 90. I fitted it cos it was cheaper than an ARB and compressor. It's very good off-road, but on the road, in my 90, it's a nightmare. I've got 255/85/16 tyres, 2" lift with pro-comp shocks and polybushes all round. The handling before I fitted the diff was fine, as expected of a 90. Now it's like driving a posessed thing. I put the power on and it pulls to the left, let the power off and it pulls to the right. Understeers & oversteers whenever it feels like it releasing at really inappropriate times... it also clunks a lot, which I can put up with to be honest.

I've changed all my bushes, changed track rod ends, had the tracking checked, checked pressure in all my tyres, bearings, everything I can think of and it's not got any better.

It might just be my 90... it might be my locker thats a bit iffy, but i'd not buy another.

Nick... the smelly one

So I'm getting a rear locker soon and humming and hawing about putting in a Detroit.

Could anyone who has a 90 with a Detroit in the rear give me there impressions of the locker and any bad points that you have found.

PLEASE - Do NOT post unless your information is first hand and it is to do with a 90. :P

Yes, yes, I have searched and read everything written on the subject and have chatted with locals that have the locker (in other type of rigs). I would just like first hand impression from people that have been running in a full time, SWB, manual tranny rig.

I had one in my old 90 couldnt wait to get rid of it both tyre pressures have to be exactly the same or it will play up , on side slopes that are a bit slippery the car wants to go sideways save your money and go ARB cheers chris