200tdi loss of power

My 200tdi has started taking a couple of extra turns to start since the waters last weekend (I have a snorkel on it and i have been deeper when off roading - so not sure this is relevent).

But yesterday I ran short of fuel, so topped i up, started it, and then found that it had no power/acceleration when i pressed the accelerator (it happened shortly before I topped up - hence i thought it was lack of fuel). It was also sending out plooms of blue smoke :o

If I switched off, and restarted, it seemed to be better, then revved it a few times and then the same again. When there was no power, it was running rough - as if firing on 3 cylinders!

I wondered if it was fuel starved and so wondered if went to bleed the filter, before doing this i undid the drain tap in case there was water in it - and there was obviously a vacuum formed in the filter - which i have not heard before...

When I undid the bleed screw on the top and tried to use the lift pump, i cant bleed the system - ie cant get fuel to come out the bleed screw.

My initial thoughts were c*** in the system sucked up from the tank - but would expect the filter to keep that at bay (filter rplaced less than 1000 miles ago).

Then I wondered if it was the lift pump failed - i have read about this and the one way fuel valve in the filter head.

The fuel return pipes on the injectors look a little damp at the junction of the pipes between cyl 2 &3 also...

I guess the worst scenario is head - but at the moment no contamination of water is evident.

Any thoughts before i run off and spend a ton of time (and money I dont want to spend on it!)?

Cheers

Jerry

My 200tdi has started taking a couple of extra turns to start since the waters last weekend (I have a snorkel on it and i have been deeper when off roading - so not sure this is relevent).

But yesterday I ran short of fuel, so topped i up, started it, and then found that it had no power/acceleration when i pressed the accelerator (it happened shortly before I topped up - hence i thought it was lack of fuel). It was also sending out plooms of blue smoke :o

If I switched off, and restarted, it seemed to be better, then revved it a few times and then the same again. When there was no power, it was running rough - as if firing on 3 cylinders!

I wondered if it was fuel starved and so wondered if went to bleed the filter, before doing this i undid the drain tap in case there was water in it - and there was obviously a vacuum formed in the filter - which i have not heard before...

When I undid the bleed screw on the top and tried to use the lift pump, i cant bleed the system - ie cant get fuel to come out the bleed screw.

My initial thoughts were c*** in the system sucked up from the tank - but would expect the filter to keep that at bay (filter rplaced less than 1000 miles ago).

Then I wondered if it was the lift pump failed - i have read about this and the one way fuel valve in the filter head.

The fuel return pipes on the injectors look a little damp at the junction of the pipes between cyl 2 &3 also...

I guess the worst scenario is head - but at the moment no contamination of water is evident.

Any thoughts before i run off and spend a ton of time (and money I dont want to spend on it!)?

Cheers

Jerry

Hi Jerry.

Even though the filter is only 1000 miles old I would fit a new one also check the filter at the end off the pipe in the tank (if there is any) and then I would make shure that the lift pump is ok, you tried to prime by using the pump but it did not seem to do anything, are you shure the pumpe was not on top off the cam, ie full lift, if try turning the crank btw 1/2 and one turn, and then try again, if the pump is on top off the cam then you can almost not get any movement in the pump in order to pump some fuel.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind regards

Ole.

Happened to me identically when i ran out of fuel. What happens is you suck some hard crude into the lines which wedge up at a narrowing of a union or so. They will not shift manually. At best you will be able to clean the fuel lines and change the filter, at worst (as in my casr) you mat already have damaged the lift pump diaphagm by forcing it to suck against too much resistance (hence vacuum in lines). The tdi will run via the fuel return to a certain extent whcih is what leadfs to lots of confusion. You will need to separate the pipes from filter to in tank pick up and blow them out with an air line BACKWARDS. Also clean to fual pickup in the tank and blow that out in reverse too. May be worth cahnging lift pump too.

Good luck

Theres a post about it somewhere in the archives.