Spraying... what do you use?

redben101

I am in the process of spraying car parts in cellulose paint. My tools of choice is currently a 2.5hp compressor with a 25 litre air tank which does the job okay as it only needs to do a panel at a time.

Because i am going to be doing a fair bit of spraying i am looking at getting a better gun, but then i read about HVLP compressors and guns.

In your opinions is a decent gun and better compressor more use or would a HVLP system do better?

Axminster have this Apollo Ap400 which seems good value but would it make a significant difference to my existing set up?

I use a mini HVLP gun on my standard compressor, its a 2.5hp twin with 50l tank and does the job nicely (shame my technique is carp) - i dont know how this would compare to a dedicated setup but i do know axminster tools are normally of excellent quality.

I use a mini HVLP gun on my standard compressor, its a 2.5hp twin with 50l tank and does the job nicely (shame my technique is carp) - i dont know how this would compare to a dedicated setup but i do know axminster tools are normally of excellent quality.

i use a hvlp gun not one of those gravity fed thing's and it works pretty good, as for tank size i think mine is about 100l, that depends whether you can cope with the noise all the time or just when the pressure drops.

i have a regulator between the hose from tank and my gun, instead of changing the main regulator all the time

I have got a similar low pressure type which i have had for ages. Can't speak for the Apollo one but mine is fine for spraying thin paints, I found cellulose difficult because it had to be thinned to much. I get much better results with a "proper" compressor.

I am in the process of spraying car parts in cellulose paint. My tools of choice is currently a 2.5hp compressor with a 25 litre air tank which does the job okay as it only needs to do a panel at a time.

Because i am going to be doing a fair bit of spraying i am looking at getting a better gun, but then i read about HVLP compressors and guns.

In your opinions is a decent gun and better compressor more use or would a HVLP system do better?

Axminster have this Apollo Ap400 which seems good value but would it make a significant difference to my existing set up?

Hi Ben,

I asked these pertinant questions last year to a few people in the trade when planning the painting of my 90.

The general feeling from the paint shop was that cellulose is going to be fazed out (sooner rather than later) and the HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) guns wasted less paint and less overspray.

I haven't got round to painting yet but intend to use an HVLP gun with water based paint (future proofing!).

Open to advice from others! :)

Regards

G

The phasing out of Cellulose-based paints has been suspended indefinitely (it was supposed to be the end of last year).

I used a cheapo 'touch up' gun to paint the panels on catflap and it's worked well - £30 from Machine Mart. There are much better guns on the market - Devilbiss being one of the best, but if this is likely to be a one-off job, then spending a forune on a gun is a waste of money.

Takes a bit of practice though :angry:

med_gallery_2_28_23831.jpg

Les.

I only spray cellulose. no two pack stuff here, Devilbiss suction feed cant remember the model but been using it for 30 years, compressor is a SIP 150 litre tank, 14CFM runs everthing i have.

Really glad that the ban on cellulose has been lifted, as i hate two pack with a vengeance.

regards

Keith

Water-based paint is more than three times the price of cellulose paints, so it would cost you several arms and legs to spray a whole vehicle.

You can get cellulose paint in base paint, which dries to a matt finish and is the colour, then clear laquer on top of that.

I buy it with laquer already added, so just the one coat is needed. Seperate laquer is better as it protects the base colour more. The problem with metallic paint is that any runs that have to be sanded out turn dark grey, so you would have to overspray again to restore the colour, so care has to be taken. Water based paints are easily damaged by bird droppings, some cars have had to resprayed due to this.

Les.