Nyloc nuts

Anyone else had issues with nyloc nuts working loose on a landy ? I fitted loads of new bolts with new nyloc nuts to the landy when i built it, and almost every one of them has come loose :angry: Some, i have to retorque ever couple of months :angry:

Would thread lock and or spring washers and nylocs stay tight ?

Theidea of a nyloc nut is that it negates the need for shake proof washers/spring washers. Just a flat washer usually to spread the load a bit and stop the base of the nut from digging into whatever it's holding. Perhaps they are poor quality or something? I don't recall a nyloc nut working loose. Usually you can spin the nut on a few turns and it goes too tight to continue without a spanner or socket.

Les.

I had some 'cheap ones' a while ago which did the same (got them off that darn website!).

I stcuk spring washers underneath them - and then paid the normal price for some that did what they are meant to !

The best locknuts were the old 3/8'' BSF ones with the built in spring washer on top, but I don't think they were ever made in UNF or Metric sizes. Nylocs apparently are designed to be used only once, and I do always fit new ones to the propshafts of clients vehicles, but being a cheapskate myself I re use them on my own vehicle after stakng the top of the nut with a hammer and blunt chisel. I find that they hold better than new ones after doing that.

Bill.

they weren't from screwfix were they.

i bought self tappers from there once, they had about the same hardness as plasticine. next time i shall pay the extra and get proper ones. anyone got any recommendation of suppliers of sets like screwfix, but actually made of metal? could do with gaathering an assortment of blots and certainly shall not be buying those from screwfix.

Try using AERO STIFF NUTS , these are available in metric thread...... up to M12 I think and also in stainless.

I have only ever really used them for high temp applications.

As others have previously said quality Nyloc's should not work loose.

• 4 months later...

the best locknuts, by a long way are k-nuts. They are smaller in spanner size, 12 mm for an m10 from memory with a flange and are deformed to slightly oval rather than round. You get them in metric and imperial, costing around 1 pound each depending on size. I use them on my exhaust and on places were spanner space is tight.

daan

the best locknuts, by a long way are k-nuts. They are smaller in spanner size, 12 mm for an m10 from memory with a flange and are deformed to slightly oval rather than round. You get them in metric and imperial, costing around 1 pound each depending on size. I use them on my exhaust and on places were spanner space is tight.

daan

these are fantastic. but really only used on exhausts for some reason

Nyloc, Cleveloc, Aerotight, are explained at http://www.boltscience.com/pages/glossary.htm

K-nut is not mentioned for some reason, but perhaps it is a slightly alternative version of one of the other types defined in the glossary.

These people equate k-nut with KEPS (mentioned in the Glossary). This equivalence may be a mistake on their behalf.

http://www.stlogistics.com.cn/product_view.asp?id=687 They describe it in detail as a nut with a shakeproof washer http://www.hssales.com/locking_nut.htm#Keps

Merlin Motorsport show the K-nut more clearly as the 'reduced hex with large flange' style referenced earlier by Daan and cosworth. http://preview.tinyurl.com/33tc8u

Cheers

these are fantastic. but really only used on exhausts for some reason

The reason must be the 1 pound price tag; you can buy probably a box wth a hundred nlyocs for that.

K nuts can be used more than once though.

I buy them here: www.tridentracing.co.uk/

Daan