Auxillery Belt

MUDDY DOUGLAS

I reckon you didn't check that the belt was correctly on all the pulleys.

One more point, if you changed it - why? If the old one was broken you may have a siezed tensioner bearing which will chew up any belt you fit. Though it will normally take more than 200 yds.

The alternator bearing can also seize, though usually you can't start the engine if that happens!

I have recently had a new alternator, bearings on that are fine, also have had new tensioner also bearings ok. I have ordered a new belt for 2morrow but the guy in the shop said I may have fitted against the directionof travel. I will check next time to see if the belt has any arrows.

I am a new member and think this is a great site.thankyou everyone

Fitted against the direction of travel? Since when are these belts directional?

Really, some of the idiots the have in shops nowadays.

I wasn't aware of the belts being directional either and AFAIK there are no arrows on them...

But I will have a look later just to be sure :unsure:

I have recently had a new alternator, bearings on that are fine, also have had new tensioner also bearings ok. I have ordered a new belt for 2morrow but the guy in the shop said I may have fitted against the directionof travel. I will check next time to see if the belt has any arrows.

I am a new member and think this is a great site.thankyou everyone

White 90 reported that his new alternator pulley was 2mm out of alignment and chewed up belts. Might be worth checking to see if all the pulleys are aligned.

Where did you get the new alternator and is it a genuine or pattern one?

Nigel

I wasn't aware of the belts being directional either and AFAIK there are no arrows on them...

But I will have a look later just to be sure :unsure:

I do try to fit old belts back on the way they came, but I don't reckon it makes much difference really.

IMHO a misalignment of 2mm is FA!

M8s alternator sits on an angle compared to the other pulleys without any problem.

Mine is not as bad, but can't be considered either straight or in line, and has had the same belt for the last 3 years or so.

Certainly more than 200 yrds worth!

There may well be a direction in which the belts are laaid during construction, but I have never come across instructions for directional fitting.

BTW are we talking of V belts or serpentine?

Knew I shouldn't have had that last beer or three.

IMHO a misalignment of 2mm is FA!

M8s alternator sits on an angle compared to the other pulleys without any problem.

Mine is not as bad, but can't be considered either straight or in line, and has had the same belt for the last 3 years or so.

Certainly more than 200 yrds worth!

There may well be a direction in which the belts are laaid during construction, but I have never come across instructions for directional fitting.

BTW are we talking of V belts or serpentine?

Knew I shouldn't have had that last beer or three.

You are right if it is a V belt but we are talking serpentines here I think and they do not like misalignment!

Yes by the time I had engaged the dog clutch driving the brain, there had been FAR too much typing to delete, especially at the speed I type.

Think the bottle of red after the beer might have had something to do with it.

If it is serptentine, then something is out of line as you say.