Calling 8074 users!

will_warne

I know there aren't many of you out there but there's a few of you. I'm in the process of getting hold of bearings and haven't had problems except for the sealed bearing that sits inside the brake pawl. Its an odd size and mine was so scappy I couldn't read anything off it. If anyone could give me a number it would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mine doesn't have a bearing in it either???? :huh:

My brake pawl had a habit of sticking so I made a small bronze bush for it, and keep it well lubricated.

I can't imaging there is much room for a bearing...

However, bearings can be specced by Outer diameter, inner diameter and width, so should be fairly easy to find knowing those dimensions...

Mark

Will,

How about measuring it, and then looking it up in the standard bearing tables?

Jon

Jon, been there done that hence the question :D The bearing is a real odd ball size as its really narrow (like 10mm on a 3" OD)! I took the measurements down to Oxford Bearings but they couldn't come up with anything remotely close off the shelf.

Lewis, not in the piviot, between the actual pawl in the middle of the brake assembly and the collar on the outer brake disc.

I think Will, in a round about way is trying to say the bearing that does the job of the ring of individual bearings in the brake on an 8274.

The answer is you could be stuffed, as only 1 out of the 4 i've stripped so far has one of those bearings.

Will it might help you to know that the original bearings are made by remington (oddball yank bearing company), so if you could find a remington bearing catalogue you could maybe find the bearing by size.

I think Will, in a round about way is trying to say the bearing that does the job of the ring of individual bearings in the brake on an 8274.

The answer is you could be stuffed, as only 1 out of the 4 i've stripped so far has one of those bearings.

Will it might help you to know that the original bearings are made by remington (oddball yank bearing company), so if you could find a remington bearing catalogue you could maybe find the bearing by size.

Sorry Lewis/Mark I meant the toothed wheel :blush:

Danny, I've managed to find the bearing at the bottom of the bin (I chucked it after I couldn't see a number on it) so I can take it back tomorrow so at least I've now got something to measure up. That's really useful to know it was remington who originally made it as it'll be somewhere to start!

That's again for the help.

OK, some sucess. No one I've tried was able to come up with a direct replacement so I went for a bearing with the correct ID and width and will make up a small collare to go inside the toothed brake plate.

For anyone who's interested the number is a 6810 (50 mm ID, 65 mm OD, 7mm width).