Firestone SAT's

ibexman

When I last drove at Broxhead Common a dab on the throttlle and I could feel the motor sink in to the ground :o

Good for mud but bad in sand.

Mud Plugga's are sold by Milner IIRC but are only Radials

I've still got some on the front of my V8 Series 2A. The rears are the Mud Pluggas that Milners do and as the fronts are getting a bit thin thats what they'll be replaced with. They've been on there two years now and it was used daily, and I'm not dead, so they can't be all bad :)

S3400009-10.jpg

BFG's better offroad.. :lol:

• 12 years later...
On 7/31/2007 at 8:28 AM, Lewis said:

I hope in 10 years time I'm posting in a thread entitled "Who remembers Extreme Trekkers" :lol:

Lewis :)

Well 13 years later the answer is yes and no- a £100 special track does the job of a £300 Simex for most people!

Me? I still spend time on eBay looking for SATs!

mods- hope you don’t mind me resurrecting this piece of nostalgia.

42 minutes ago, bluespanner said:

Well 13 years later the answer is yes and no- a £100 special track does the job of a £300 Simex for most people!

Me? I still spend time on eBay looking for SATs!

mods- hope you don’t mind me resurrecting this piece of nostalgia.

Fedima bought the moulding, so do a retread 7.50x16 SAT copy. Good tyres. Got them on the G Wagen Laner

On 7/31/2007 at 8:28 AM, Lewis said:

I hope in 10 years time I'm posting in a thread entitled "Who remembers Extreme Trekkers" :lol:

Lewis :)

We are in this situation now. It is Maxis trepador that's all the rage. It is bigger, now 37 or 40 inch. But from what I saw, they fill up and don't self clean very well as they are not as course as a simex or bogger. But being bigger, you don't get stuck as much as the diff is higher of the ground. A shame it went this way, as it pretty much brings us into special axles teritory, and that puts people off the sport I reckon.

Daan

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Daan said:

We are in this situation now. It is Maxis trepador that's all the rage. It is bigger, now 37 or 40 inch. But from what I saw, they fill up and don't self clean very well as they are not as course as a simex or bogger. But being bigger, you don't get stuck as much as the diff is higher of the ground. A shame it went this way, as it pretty much brings us into special axles teritory, and that puts people off the sport I reckon.

Daan

It's also less about driving skill and more about build skill...point, squirt

I always like the Jungle Trekker more, much better all round tyre...

On 5/12/2020 at 10:21 AM, Nonimouse said:

Fedima bought the moulding, so do a retread 7.50x16 SAT copy. Good tyres. Got them on the G Wagen Laner

When I looked at them years ago I thought the tread pattern was much lower than a SAT or MudPlugga?

What was the tread deapth like on yours when you got them?

1 hour ago, missingsid said:

When I looked at them years ago I thought the tread pattern was much lower than a SAT or MudPlugga?

What was the tread deapth like on yours when you got them?

Absolutely fine; and they've done well with a lot of abuse. They are fitted to an '82 G Wagen, 617 NAD Auto (although it was a 2.8 Il6 when they were first fitted). So a very tight turning circle, lockers and heavy.

It's lane'd all over the Southwest, so the toughest lanes in the UK, with lots of nasty sharp rock. It's also done fair miles on the road - never driven gently. The tyres look almost new after five years

Portuguese outfit, apparently, lots of interesting tyre styles. I've bookmarked them, when the Avons wear out, I might check them out.

• Like 1