Thatcham Cat 2 immobiliser - connections ...

chrisst2

Hi , I have just started installing the thatcham cat 2 immobiliser to my P38 but need some advice, I have to connect one of the loops to isolate the starter motor circuit and the other loop to another circuit that will immobilise the ignition. On my old discovery this wasn't so bad as it didn't have any ECUs, but with the P38 being controlled by the BECM I am concerned about just cutting into any circuit, does anyone have any experience of doing this on a P38 , if so can you advise where or what wires I should be looping ?

many thanks

Chris

ps .. sorry if I seem to asking a lot of questions , I just bought the P38 and am keen to get all of the jobs done asap....

Can't help you on the install I'm affraid, but you might want to check with your insurance company that they are happy with you installing it - in my experience they will want a certificate from a certified installer before they will acknowledge it and apply it to your policy.......

If you can get an installer to certify it, then that's a good option as long as you're reasonably competent with electrics. Frankly, you'll probably do a much better job than most alarm installers... They tend to just stick it in where it's nice and easy for them to get at - which is, of course, just as easy for the car theives :rolleyes:

I had a funny moment with my insurer, I just bought a Range for £500 yet they insisted I had an alarm/immobiliser on it.................. Sometimes logic is torn up when finance is involved.

I had a funny moment with my insurer, I just bought a Range for £500 yet they insisted I had an alarm/immobiliser on it.................. Sometimes logic is torn up when finance is involved.

Some insurers it seems to be an automatic requirement with certain classes of car.

When I bought the Range Rover (admittedly for a bit more than yours) my insurers insisted that I had an approved and professionally fitted alarm (it had the standard LR one, but I don't think that was Thatcham approved when it was new...). Unfortunately I needed to keep the insurance policy from the previous car to complete the years no claims. Even though it cost me something like £400 it was less than the extra insurance premium from one less years no claims and no alarm discount (after shopping around - the existing insurer were extortionate on the Range Rover anyway).