Yet another 4x4 Show thread....

Can't really say too much at the moment. Not because I am being secretive but because I have little to say on the matter :D

Pencil 26th and 27th of April 2008 in your diary ready for a new Show with an emphasis on being a good social event.

Easy access from the Midlands and beyond via the M54 and from the Northwest via Chester / Wrexham

The aims:

Realistic entry / camping / offroading fees

There will be an offroad course ( not very demading but very pleasant. save the offroad challeng for Manby just enjoy this for the hell of it.

Pleasant camping site in easy reach of the town if the ladies want to go shopping :lol:

Twist off ramp

Club stands

Trade stands ( cheap enough to let the traders give a show special )

Autojumble

Most important feature - a good beertent at sensible money and good catering with a choice of meals rather than just a burger to sit down and enjoy in a big central social gathering marquee

I will let you all know more when I sort any more out but the venue is booked and the date is set.

Perhaps I have lost the plot - I invented the Donington show to get away from outdoor shows and now here I am seliing out and doing what i said was wrong! The difference with this one will hopefully be in the people. Paying reasonable money for a good weekend away with fellow offroaders and enjoying a good chinwag over a beer or two and a curry....

David

Hmmmm. Only a week ago you were asking us this.....

Started a new thread for this as it moves away from just the weather thread.

I went to Billing Sunday and walked round. I did not trade for the first time in 10years but left this to others who sell my stuff.

I organised a national 4x4 show for 5 years.

I have been a LR fan for the best part of 35 years now...

What do people want??

Nice wether would have transformed the whole atmosphere. Even if the central arena ran a full program it would still be carp - we all know what colour Camels are. We all know of you drive up a ramp you will eventually come cross axled. We all know whoever sponsors / pays the most for adverts will get the endlessly annoying plugs over the tannoy.

The show is the same as last time! That's because nothing new has appeared on the market :D We are approaching stagnant, gone beyond stale. This could be improved a little by moving the stands to new locations so you don't feel as though you already know the show you have to dig out the things you want to see.

Nothing was cheap. That's because it is so bloody expensive to have stands at the shows these days that you ( as a trader ) can't afford to give stuff away especially when margins are as tight as the market forces have made them anyway.

The food was carp - agreed, took sandwiches. Show food is always dear / carp but this Billing pushed the limits.

The organistaion was poor - agreed ut the logistics of such a vast number of public in suach an unsuitable venue is to be fair unmanageable.

Where next??

Don't know - something has to be done but what?

A new venue.

A new format - what about a social event for LR owners with a dotting of stands just for the hell of ot and a nice little offroad course just to waste an hour on before a drink and a bite to eat? Either in your own caravan or in the sit down food marquee?

What abour paying the going rate instead of milking the show dry - organisers and public all do this to the trade who get Mildly miffed off, don't come back and leave gaps for the public and orgabisers to moan about :lol:

Billing was brilliant in the old days, now it is phusically just as good BUT we are all bored of it!

I am released from the "won't organise another show" contract I had to sign when I sold up now so watch this space but unless a new format can be found to creat an interest all the shows are the same, old boring stuff

David

You've been a busy lad!

Personally, I loved Billing, but then it was my first visit there. And i'll be going back next year.

But the show you're describing David does sound great. More grass-roots and less glitz. I like that.

But I went to one of those last year when the Dunsfold Collection had it's bi-annual show and I must admit it was bluddy fab!!

Really friendly, relaxed, all LR's parked in the middle of the arena, decent off-road course (which was for rides in LR Experience LR's only - but still great) and decent food and prices.

I really hope they do it again in 2008 - it's only a 40 minute drive from me and we'll probably even camp there as well as the atmosphere was so good.

I don't blame you for doing this and I really hope it's a success for you. Next year will be very busy, what with the 60th Anniversary celebrations, and I'm sure shows will be doing all they can to mark this.

Peter Gallilee in LRO has commented on a growing preferance for the same type of show as you're organising - Leafers in't Pit and Langley Farm being cases in point.

I really hope it works out!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds good, espcially the beer and curry bit! REAL ALE i hope, out of the keg!, maybe morris dancing etc etc. How about something else for the weekend as well, maybe fly fishing lessons! power kites! mountain bikes, assault course! call it LAND ROVER ADVENTURE WEEKEND. and those that pay get a nice classy sticker for their truck, thus free advertising for you! Cheers Stumpy.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds good, espcially the beer and curry bit! REAL ALE i hope, out of the keg!, maybe morris dancing etc etc. How about something else for the weekend as well, maybe fly fishing lessons! power kites! mountain bikes, assault course! call it LAND ROVER ADVENTURE WEEKEND. and those that pay get a nice classy sticker for their truck, thus free advertising for you! Cheers Stumpy.

^^^^

he has a point. :rolleyes:

Don't know the area, but with a few bales of hay you could have a paint ball set up. Not very LR related i know, but i have seen it done at other shows and it gets a lot of "club v club" activity. all good fun (and a money spinner).

Sounds good, Its in my diary now.

Jas

But I went to one of those last year when the Dunsfold Collection had it's bi-annual show and I must admit it was bluddy fab!!

Really friendly, relaxed, all LR's parked in the middle of the arena, decent off-road course (which was for rides in LR Experience LR's only - but still great) and decent food and prices.

Yep, that was an excellent day out - I was in the Audi though so we had to park across in the field.

Hi Daid and Yostumpy and all off you.

Regarding beer, I have suggestion in 2005 at the RoverNational the bar Was called the DiscoveryBar, because one could discover a heck off a lot off Ale's from all the local breweries, there was at least between 10 and 20 different ones all the time and when one got empty a new came up not just more off the same kind but a new one, G.. I got drunk, thats an understatement, more like absolutely plastered, but all great fun.

See you there.

Kind regards

Ole.