Very Warm ?? 2007 Defender

Those running 07 Defender, have you notice the gearbox hot ??

Mine seam, after 50/60 miles on the motorway, say 60/70 mph, the transmission tunnel/handbrake/Seat box area get very warm,,virtually untouchable by hand, ?? OK when the AC on, as the bottom vent blow direct to the area,

Anyone else got the same ?? :unsure:

Guest dew110CSW
Dew, my 200 TDi did the same if i remember, but never noticed it much ? on the TD5's !!!

Could be a gearbox thing. Maybe the R380 (TD5 IIRC) was better heat insulated then either the LT-77 or whatever you call the new one.

I'm still running mine in so it hasn't reached 60 yet :unsure:

Hate to burst your bubble, but a lot of research now suggests the best way to run a car in is to give it some stick (once the engine is properly warm of course) to get everything to seat right.

Hate to burst your bubble, but a lot of research now suggests the best way to run a car in is to give it some stick (once the engine is properly warm of course) to get everything to seat right.

Very true, you bet your life it has already seen 80 plus or 3500rpm if a dealer has driven it,

Peter

Dew, my 200 TDi did the same if i remember, but never noticed it much ? on the TD5's !!!

I know of it least one TD5 with the same problem.

Mine doesn't seem to heat up though. I'll soon find out as I've just taken out most of the interior trim to make cleaning easier.

Haven't noticed it with mine Tim.

Re running in I kept under 3,000 rpm for the first 1,000 plus miles which still gave 70mph + cruising. Its now done 4,000 miles and seems to be pulling really well with a bit of loosening up.

Thanks John,, Mines just coming up to 2k,

all i can say, if it was not for the A/C, it would be a tad on the warm side inside,

3rd time i have noticed it now, in all cases, after a hour or so, cruising on the motorway, plus i struggle to get over 20 mpg !! which is down to the sport's figuars !!!

Just wondering if after a hour of so, the gearbox is "tightening up" somehow !!,

Could be a gearbox thing. Maybe the R380 (TD5 IIRC) was better heat insulated then either the LT-77 or whatever you call the new one.

did not notice my gear box getting hot just the sun coming through the front screen heats me legs up. as per running in warmed it up first day and went to see how the limiter works 85 and thats it just drive as i would my TD5 as its limted and its got that 6 speed box it seems to be running low revs i never rev the nuts off any of my cars

Thanks John,, Mines just coming up to 2k,

all i can say, if it was not for the A/C, it would be a tad on the warm side inside,

3rd time i have noticed it now, in all cases, after a hour or so, cruising on the motorway, plus i struggle to get over 20 mpg !! which is down to the sport's figuars !!!

Just wondering if after a hour of so, the gearbox is "tightening up" somehow !!,

ive got 600 mile under its belt and it a week old to day. i put 58.34 litres in and refilled with 59.04 litres and did 347 miles which is about say 20 to 30 miles less that the td5 you do the maths as i am carp at things like that any way my fuel improved by miles on the TD5 after the 12000 mile service

Daniel TD5

plus i struggle to get over 20 mpg !! which is down to the sport's figuars !!!

Woah Tim.... That's heading into V8 numbers... I hope that improves as the miles go into the engine. Probable engine and box a little tight as so new...

Most modern diesels are not at their best until 10k miles where they losen up a little and offer great performance..

Neil

Tim,

I have not particularly noticed the gearbox itself getting hot. However 1 thing I have noticed is that downwards air vents which are just above the transmission tunnel, does allow air to pass through even if the dial is directed to up or face positions. This combined with the fact that the heater works properly has made my left leg cook a couple of times if the dial is on anything other than stone cold.

Mark.

Thanks Mark,,

Was very noticeable coming back from Gloucester the other evening, OK warm weather, but needed to keep the AC on, blowing through the lower vent, to cool that area, ie transmission tunnel/seat box, The metal part of the handbrake lever, was just touchable, with no AC

Thanks Mark,,

Was very noticeable coming back from Gloucester the other evening, OK warm weather, but needed to keep the AC on, blowing through the lower vent, to cool that area, ie transmission tunnel/seat box, The metal part of the handbrake lever, was just touchable, with no AC

just a thought its not the hand brake binding that would make that area very hot they may be just touching the drum not as much to hold the car but they rub enough to make heat

dan

we are all going to burst into flames

my one is hot two put your hand down the inside of the hand brake after about two hours on the motorway its so hot you can't hold it on the metal for more that a few seconds its heating up the seat frame and my mud rail as well

me thinks thats not right

post-4260-1186151322_thumb.jpg

so what do we do ask the dealer ? they won't know much as they have only sold a few not even serviced one yet

email land rover uk

whats making the heat that much heat can't be good and will it damage the wiring going into the under seat fuse box

me being a contracts manager for a fire protection company nicked three fire extinguishers now at home in the back

1 9l water for the carpets trim

1 2kg co2 for the wiring

1 2kg dry powder for fuel

so if i see any 2007 defender on fire i am fully kitted out

dan

my 200Tdi/R380 combo gets quite warm in the lower seatbox ares, while your moving the cooling effect of the airflow should keep it down, when stopped the heat will soak into whatever will take it.

Dan -- hope you've got those well strapped in.

My 200tdi get VERY hot on long journeys. As Ralph says the cooling effect of the wind helps but still you could fry an egg on it. I am going to invest in some heat shields to help rduce the radiant heat from the exhaust and the g/box in summer. Funnily enough I never have the same problem during winter when the exhaust and transmission seem to generate precious little warmth!

MY07 CSW does not get hot at all around the transmission tunnell and I do 80 miles a day commutte mainly on the M56 at 60>70mph & I'm still getting 34mpg, I tend to change gear at around 2k rpm if that helps. Something cannot be right if you're only getting 20mpg???

Tim, if the windows are open then close them! it certainly helps on my td5, having the windows opens draws air into the cab around the gearbox area and the seat box gets very hot as you describe. closed windows stops this happening, although once it has heated up its there for a while!