Towing Stabiliser

alan kemp

Can anyone recommend a good stabiliser for towing my 90 on a 3.5 ton trailer towed by a Disco11. The best selling one does not say what its max towing rates are (I know I could phone and ask). I would rather buy one on recomendation,anyone have one that works??

i have used a snakemaster on a race car trailer (total weight 1500kg) behind my tomcat would tow upto 80 no probs not that i would know that of coarse

i don't know if they are rated for trailer weight but i do know they are ajustable for stiffness

mike

My dear father made his own from two plates and a pinch bolt to adjust the friction, with a piece of steel bar which slid in a bush on the caravan. When not in use it folded sideways along the bumper of the car.

Ive never used one but i know you can get a tow hitch that apply's friction to the tow ball, it grips the ball and helps to reduce snaking. you could also go for a shock adsorber type damper look atdampers

What lenght trailer have you got? Do you tie down your 90 by the wheels or do you pull down the body?

Chris

vehicles should be secured to traileror transporters by the wheels using these, .

Sorry Ralph,, I always go the other way,, Strap the body down, no rolling about in the bends, and vast improvement with crosswinds !!

That doesn't stop the sprung weight of the car bobbing and swaying about on the springs though. OK on a saloon car but I wouldn't like to tow a LR secured just like that.

I usually strap axles front and rear and body front and rear.

vehicles should be secured to traileror transporters by the wheels using these, which have a hook at one end & ratchet head at the other, using 4 [1 on each wheel] will prevent the load moving/coming adrift.

v05999.JPG

Very true, but if you have slinky suspension and the vehicle rolls about alot, you also need to strap down the body down to the trailer too. If you dont when you do get a snake on having a landy rolling about on the trailer does not help! :o I know :unsure:

The trouble with securing the body, is as the suspension compresses, the straps can come adrift. Without air suspsension, I doubt you'd be able to strap a 4x4 down onto the bumpstops easily.

However when I tow next time, I'm definately going to strap/winch the body down, to take out some of the float, but the wheels will be securely strapped too.

I'm with Moglite on this one. I always strap the four wheels or onto the axles and then strap the body down if needs be. Strapping by just the body means that you will end up with some movement and I've seen this loosen straps before. Especially with the weight of a landrover.

I've heard very good things about the stabilizers that are built into the tow hitch. One of my colleagues does a lot of towing with his caravan (1.5 ton) and has found this type of stabilizer to be far better than the older sprung arm type.

Ed

when towing the series i strap two wheels diagonally opposite. i then have to straps attached to the roll cage either side which are strapped to the trailer to remove the roll. it makes a huge difference and you can compress the suspension quite considerably

paul