300tdi conversion

Hi there,

Ive done a quick search on the forum bit couldnt find anything that was really relevant, so here goes....

I have a 1991 defender 200tdi with lt77 gear box.. How much work is it to convert this to a 300tdi? Would it be easier to keep the existing lt77 or put a 300 tdi complete with r380 in?

Would there be any issues with moving engine mounts or altering lengths of prop shafts etc?

Can anyone offer any advice on this please?

Thanks very much

Jon

what's wrong with the 200Tdi ?

fitting the 300 complete with R380 gearbox/propshafts/rad/intercooler & correct engine mounts [chassis side] is fairly straight forward, once the chassis mounts have been swapped

Well, the engine is getting a little tired, so i thought a 300 would do nicely. Also, i would like to convert to a auto box one day, and i think this is made easier by having a 300 tdi. But i stand to be corrected. :rolleyes:

I thought i would just try and put the gearbox is such a place so to keep my propshafts the same length and just move the engine.. Do you reckon it'll work?

Thanks

Jon

Tired 200Tdi, maybe it needs the injection pump overhauling & new injectors, if it's done 250,000 miles a new turbo would help,

possibly could use the autobox from a Disco 200Tdi

Yeah possibly.. Ive had the injector pump reconditioned and new injectors, but then it just started warming up quickly! a 5 min drive and its up to running temperature, that seems awful quick to me, its had a new radiator aswell. Its also breathing a bit heavily.. I can hear the turbo whistling away when i rev the engine, and there is very little play in the turbine shaft!

How do you rate a 200tdi with an auto box? Is it worth it?

Yeah possibly.. Ive had the injector pump reconditioned and new injectors, but then it just started warming up quickly! a 5 min drive and its up to running temperature, that seems awful quick to me, its had a new radiator aswell. Its also breathing a bit heavily..

Head gasket hasn't gone has it?

200 and 300Tdi are very similar mechanically and power output is the same. A top end rebuild is probably all yours needs, Tdis seldom wear bores or cranks. I ve just fitted a new head to my 300Tdi (long story...), I decoked the pistons, fitted new Bosch injectors £40 each from Turners and it now goes better than ever. I'm getting between 3 and 5 mpg more than it did before and it can be driven with a far lighter foot than before. Bottom end has only done 150k or so, some people on here have Tdis whioch have done 250k or more...

Head gasket hasn't gone has it?

200 and 300Tdi are very similar mechanically and power output is the same. A top end rebuild is probably all yours needs, Tdis seldom wear bores or cranks. I ve just fitted a new head to my 300Tdi (long story...), I decoked the pistons, fitted new Bosch injectors £40 each from Turners and it now goes better than ever. I'm getting between 3 and 5 mpg more than it did before and it can be driven with a far lighter foot than before. Bottom end has only done 150k or so, some people on here have Tdis whioch have done 250k or more...

I dunno, its not running particularly rough, there is a slight knocking on overun, and it is only slight... yeah, mine has done 150K ish

my 200Tdi warms up within 2 miles from cold, always been like it & the head & gasket are in A1 condition. never driven a Tdi auto, not very keen on auto's anyway, so in no position to pass comment on their use.

200Tdi [Defender] has slightly less bhp/torque [107bhp/188lbft] than the Disco 200Tdi & all 300Tdi's [111bhp/195lbft]

simonb -- some people on here have Tdis which have done 250k or more...

tha'll be me then, currently 287138, recently had a new cylinder head due to hairline cracks between water jacket & cylinder & new turbo at about 260000 ;D