which truck?

jameslwt

Heres a good one

I currently have a 110 hard top 300tdi (as per post at start of week - how much for a 110?) with quite a few of off road toys. (eg h14 etc etc)

I have found a 1984 110 v8 CSW with lpg and all the toys inc front and rear lockers, which mine doesn't have. In vgc.

Now do I sell and change to the csw or keep the hardtop? What would you do?

Always wanted a CSW, and apart from it being brown, it looks pretty good. Got winch, snorkle etc etc. 4 " lift and 5 x 35 inch tyres. Done about 110,000 miles. Ie it looks v good for a 1984 truck (very good for any 110 for that matter!) Sensible money as well - reckon I could sell hardtop and get some change from csw.

This is/would be my only vehicle at the moment, but would get used offroad - I marshall for shires every now and then (well more now than then). Have to commute about 10 miles to work, but this will drop in a few months when I get my station posting)

My heart says csw but not 100% convinced yet.

Sway me one way or t'other! :ph34r:

Cheers

James

The V8 110 is sloooooow,

the V8 is a very "Soft" tune and you have to thrash it to make it go, even worse then on LPG

You also "Know" your 300 tdi its poss faults and its good points, and the performance will be a whole load better.

Unless you are prepared to either put up with the horrendous V8 performance and thrash it (and then the fuel consuumption will wound you :lol:) or upgrade to a 3.9EFI and all the work involved I would say, ..............and this will be a huge shock to many who know me whilst they are reading this.......................

I would say stick to the 300 Tdi and buy the bits you want, even convert it to CSW

Nige :o

Guest diesel_jim

The Tdi you've got is newer, has (should have) disc braked back axle, better gearbox, better for wading (diesel)

You can always buy a SW rear body and swap it over, nut and bolt job (OK, lots of nuts & bolts....)

Having seen the spec of the two vehicles tonight I would say keep your 110 and upgrade as you see fit, the alternative vehicle is:

1984 110 V8 - so slow, thirsty, with a 4-speed tractor box, and likely to be full of rust in inconvenient places.

It has a 4" lift (IMHO not something to be duplicated) with QT/Scrapiron bits (only of value if you want the daft lift)

It does have an ARB in the rear salisbury which is nice but by no means an outstanding thing.

A truetrac in the front (not sure how good an idea this is, would a second ARB make more sense?) but if it's an early 110 it'll have a 10-spline front end whereas the 300TDi should be 24 shouldn't it?

An 8274 (so a downgrade in performance & reliability from a TDI-powered H14W) on a scrapiron bumper (It's extremely tubular!)

35" BFG muds - OK if you were about to buy a set, otherwise there are alternatives out there and 35's and lockers may be pushing stock shafts/CV's)

LPG (can be picked up for £250 at sodbury)

A few other toys of no major concern

And the asking price is nearly £4k

All in, it's just about the sum of it's parts but by no means a bargain or a dream truck. Better off with the TDi (you can always upgrade to a nice V8 later), the H14W is a better bet than a stock 8274.

Assuming you wanted to up the game of your truck:

ARB's front & rear = £800 ish? or perhaps some different axles such as Land Cruiser that come with lockers. Then again, £2k gets you portals with lockers in and the ability to run proper sized tyres.

Set of 35's = £500 - £1k depending on what wheels/tyres you went for

More power = You could tune the TDi, or sell it for (relatively) lots of money and drop an EFi V8 and box in from a RR, MS'n'EDIS would see to the waterproofing ;)

As for CSW to HT change, if it's anything like the 109 you cannot just swap bodies - the chassis mounts are different as the floor drops for the rear passengers. There may even be different x-members/outriggers but I'm not 100%. Also if it's an '84 the sill/B-pillar/C-pillar bit will probably disintegrate if you try to remove it and you can't buy them <_< ask me how I know, crusty ones went on eBay for £250 :blink: at that point I started welding...

Stick some side windows and seats in the back and you have almost the same result as a CSW.

Having seen the spec of the two vehicles tonight I would say keep your 110 and upgrade as you see fit, the alternative vehicle is:

1984 110 V8 - so slow, thirsty, with a 4-speed tractor box, and likely to be full of rust in inconvenient places.

It has a 4" lift (IMHO not something to be duplicated) with QT/Scrapiron bits (only of value if you want the daft lift)

It does have an ARB in the rear salisbury which is nice but by no means an outstanding thing.

A truetrac in the front (not sure how good an idea this is, would a second ARB make more sense?) but if it's an early 110 it'll have a 10-spline front end whereas the 300TDi should be 24 shouldn't it?

An 8274 (so a downgrade in performance & reliability from a TDI-powered H14W) on a scrapiron bumper (It's extremely tubular!)

35" BFG muds - OK if you were about to buy a set, otherwise there are alternatives out there and 35's and lockers may be pushing stock shafts/CV's)

LPG (can be picked up for £250 at sodbury)

A few other toys of no major concern

And the asking price is nearly £4k

I know the above car, and so does dirtydiesel, its a right bag of sh1te and I would touch it with someone else's extremely long stick. I looked at it with a mate about 18months ago (yes its been for sale that long) and the amount of places my screwdriver went through the chassis was scary.

The clutch was gone, it didnt start on petrol (fuel line was missing), the winch didnt work and was really badly fitted to a bumper meant for a lowline, the chassis was cracked, the suspension was poorly fitted with loads of bolts missing, the dampers were very tired, the footwells were none existant, there was mud on the inside over the seat box height, the ARB compressor didnt work, one of the rear windows was smashed, the doors were very rotten . . . I could go on for a long long time

Basically dont go near it

I know the above car, and so does dirtydiesel, its a right bag of sh1te and I would touch it with someone else's extremely long stick. I looked at it with a mate about 18months ago (yes its been for sale that long) and the amout of places my screwdriver went through the chassis was scary.

The clutch was gone, it didnt start on petrol (fuel line was missing), the winch didnt work and was really badly fitted to a bumper meant for a lowline, the chassis was cracked, the suspension was poorly fitted with loads of bolt missing, the dampers were very tired, the footwells were none existant, there was mud on the inside over the seat box height, the arb compressor didnt work, one of the rear windows was smashed, the doors were very rotten . . . I could go on for a long time

Basically dont go near it

Cheers guys

Fridge - you had me 98% convinced not to last night. Lewis - you've definately persuaded me!

Cheers guys - think I'll stick with the 110!

James

James, I just re-read your first post - Where did you find the CSW for sale? I think the "VGC" description is very generous :o

I get the feeling that the current owner got all of his receipts and added them togther to get the asking price :rolleyes:

IMHO its worth around £1300, mostly for the axles, but also because some fool will give you £400 for the winch on Ebay

If your thinking about changing your suspension on the 110 I have a pair of Old Man Emu 110 rear springs, a pair of dislocation cones for a 110/130 and a pair of bearmach springs for a 110 front, should give you a 2" lift and allow decent flex with a set of longer dampers and some raised top mounts

Lewis :)

James, I just re-read your first post - Where did you find the CSW for sale? I think the "VGC" description is very generous :o

I get the feeling that the current owner got all of his receipts and added them togther to get the asking price :rolleyes:

IMHO its worth around £1300, mostly for the axles, but also because some fool will give you £400 for the winch on Ebay

If your thinking about changing your suspension on the 110 I have a pair of Old Man Emu 110 rear springs, a pair of dislocation cones for a 110/130 and a pair of bearmach springs for a 110 front, should give you a 2" lift and allow decent flex with a set of longer dampers and some raised top mounts

Lewis :)

it was on lrboards.com (am I allowed to say that?!)

Might leave it for the mo. Too many other issues to worry about. Thanks though!

Hers's my highly simplistic view:

V8's are attractive mainly because of the noise.

Tdi's are more economical and can produce excellent power and torque. A different exhaust will make it sound nicer.

You know your current Tdi 110 well. For the sake of a few seats and 2 doors plus tyres and suspension, why go to all the trouble of changing and then having the hassle of unexpected repairs to a vehicle you don't know?

Even without reading the other posts, I'd have said to stick with your 110 HT.

Now, if you found a CSW body with seats etc and could fit the crossmember etc to your current chassis, then that would make sense, especially as you'd have your old HT body to sell on and recoup costs.

you can fit a CSW body to a 110, but you do need the extra cross member, and a couple of brackets... you could pick up the bits to change yours to a CSW at old sodbury for a few hundred quid, the dearest bit would be the push-button doors...

I'd stick with the 300 TDi, it will be plodding along well after that ratty old V8 has been melted down to make coke cans......

I'd stick with the 300 TDi, it will be plodding along well after that ratty old V8 has been melted down to make coke cans......

...and it still won't have arrived :lol:

If it was a decent V8 I'd argue, but the carbed de-tuned 3.5 you get in an old 110 is probably less powerful than a TDi and definitely less economical. A 3.9 EFi lump would be just sweet though.

Guest dew110CSW
...and it still won't have arrived :lol:

If it was a decent V8 I'd argue, but the carbed de-tuned 3.5 you get in an old 110 is probably less powerful than a TDi and definitely less economical. A 3.9 EFi lump would be just sweet though.

RPi 4.6 Stage 2 and ZF-4 for the ultimate OneTen though :D.