TD5 Heater control illumination

I suspect ( but could be wrong) they the same bulbs that are used for the instrument warning lights used on pre Td5 vehicles where the bulb is combined with a plastic base. The base then just twist fits in a hole in the casing... but if you wanted illuminated in a pre td5 vehicle controls try this...

1. Remove binnacle.

2. Remove fan and heater labels.

3. Cut/chain drill/file a slot approx 5mm wide centrally almost the entire length where the label was.

4. Go to B&Q and get some of the 10mm wide rectangular section electrical conduit with the snap fit lid.

5. Cut 2 lengths of conduit same length as labels, discard lid.

6. Drill hole centrally in base of conduit for lampholder - see step 9

7. Fit conduit open side of channel inside binnancle facing slot so that it acts as a light trough. Use 3mm countersunk nuts and bolts. Head on outside of binnacle, so they get covered by the labels.

8. Get new labels and refit - they are transparent enough to allow the light to shine through.

9. For bulb holders use RS 811-664 and 24v wedge base T1 bulbs - i found 12v ones too bright. The bulb holders will just wedge into a round hole.

10. For more bling, you can add 3mm leds to the sliders so you can see them as well. Pics are my 300Tdi binnancle - I could have made the slot on the heater control a bit wider and longer..

post-237-1186084603_thumb.jpg

post-237-1186084627_thumb.jpg

Simon, that looks really good ! The led in the slider looks very good indeed :) I have the td5 binnacle but the older type push and turn bulb holders don't fit but I'll try your wedge bulb holders from rs as they should do the trick, ta :)

Mo :i-m_so_happy:

Guest diesel_jim

Mo,

those bulb holders in the heater controls are very similar to the ones we use on fruit machines at work. they also use the thin 12v wedge bulbs, got hundreds here if you want any?

I'll post a pic comparing the genuine one to the fruitmachine ones, you can decide.

Simon, that looks really good ! The led in the slider looks very good indeed :) I have the td5 binnacle but the older type push and turn bulb holders don't fit but I'll try your wedge bulb holders from rs as they should do the trick, ta :)

Mo :i-m_so_happy:

The RS holders are designed to mount to a pcb and then the wedge bulbs plug into the holder, so i'm not sure they will do what u want - best check on the RS web page...Try 811-715 I think thats what you need. If you need those I have a few I can pop in the post.

Guest diesel_jim
Mo,

those bulb holders in the heater controls are very similar to the ones we use on fruit machines at work. they also use the thin 12v wedge bulbs, got hundreds here if you want any?

I'll post a pic comparing the genuine one to the fruitmachine ones, you can decide.

Yer goes....

nice tidy workbench (with LR dash on, instead of "work" stuff.... ;) )

post-130-1186150820_thumb.jpg

comparing the two bulbholders

post-130-1186150839_thumb.jpg

just a push fit. the LR ones are insert-and-twist

post-130-1186150857_thumb.jpg

the wires "push" into the back of the bulbholder, like the BT phone cables do in their sockets. there is a *special* took for it, or just a thin blade screwdriver to push the cable in.

we've got loads here at work, so if anyone wants some, let me know (and the bulbs too, don't buy the oddpack ones from Halfrauds @ £400 each. we get them for pence! :rolleyes: