Winch freespool

Has anyone here got pictures showing how they have converted their freespool to air operated (or even electric :blink: ) Particularly on an EP9

Where did you get the cylinder / actuator from ?

I'm looking into changing the center diff to air, so might as well do the freespool at the same time :rolleyes:

Basically on the rear milemarker I made up a frame to hold the air soleniod in place over the rod that would normally turn freespool on and off.

Then a suitable piston unit was sourced (£35 new), this has a sleeve turnmed up which connected it to the winch, plumbed into the air line with a T piece into the ARB, added 2x switches (front is done to similarly) and then when I apply the switch air PULLS the rod out disengaging the winch (ie places winch into free spool) when I release the switch and the air goes then it pops back in, the second red pipe is a breather into the cab, so air only goes in 1 way.

You have to get the throw correct, and a small unit will do the task

post-22-1186081858_thumb.jpg

I have the spec of mine somewhere

HTH

Nige

plumbed into the air line with a T piece into the ARB,

Am i understanding this right? when you engage the ARB locker, the winch goes into freespool, when you disengage the locker, you can winch ?

I am going to use +ve pressure from the on board air to engage the centre diff, with a small piston.

Am i understanding this right? when you engage the ARB locker, the winch goes into freespool, when you disengage the locker, you can winch ?

No I think you Misunderstood Nigel, He's using The ARB Compressor to provide the Air Nothing Else, he has fron & rear Winches hence the need for 2 switches to engage the freespool on front or rear winches.

i.e. nothing at all to do with the Diffs Just the Compressor !

Right Nige ?

Lyndon

No I think you Misunderstood Nigel, He's using The ARB Compressor to provide the Air Nothing Else, he has fron & rear Winches hence the need for 2 switches to engage the freespool on front or rear winches.

i.e. nothing at all to do with the Diffs Just the Compressor !

Right Nige ?

Lyndon

Hiya Lyndon

Long time no squeak matey, hope things are well with you :)

Yep, Lyndon is spot on,

I have T'd into the ARB lines,

ie I switch on the ARB compressor it then whirs up and switches its self off,

the little thing full of air and ready.

I have 4x soleniods,

1 for front winch freespool,

1 for rear winch freespool,

1 for front arb

1 for rear arb,

all work independantly of each other,

and I can have any combo I like,

the ARB can cope with them all no prob, the amount of air used by each is very small

Hope this helps

Nige

Ah reet, i was thinking it's a bit of an odd solution. I presume the solenoids are all the same ? like the ones suplied with the diffs ?

Yep

I have the Older "MAC" Valves which are better than the later cheapo versions.

I found a local MAC dealer,

popped in holding one of the ARB ones - and walked out with 2x more, all the connectors, T pieces, pipe, etc etc etrc for around £50 the lot.

Ask D4x4 how much a soleniod is for an ARB,.............. then pick yourself up :lol:

Nige

post-2143-1186118771.jpg

My local pneumatic components dealer sells them solenoids for £21 each , I can get the part no. if needed.

Hi Folks.

Why use both a switch and a switch when one by thinking KISS can use only one at the same price or even less!!!

I have been using something like on picture for for my Lockers for years now, there is less things that can go wrong in that way, I think.

It is just a simple pneumatic switch so there is only the pipes to fiddle with and one has to do that any way, they comes in various types one can have his choise even as pushbuttons, the ones I have sourced did cost around 20£ here in DK.

Kind regards

Ole.

o

I 2nd Ole.

IMHO a manually operated valve is better than solenoid operated valve and ARB switch.

Hmmm

Possibly

I also thought around this but when you are crashing about and being flung about poking a HD Switch seems less likely to break than poking a delicate switch with a paw moving harder faster and more out of control then you may wish :lol: ?

I have stabbted poked thumped and generally clouted ARB switches and the Winch freespools and they live to work another day ???

Nige

I also thought around this but when you are crashing about and being flung about poking a HD Switch seems less likely to break than poking a delicate switch with a paw moving harder faster and more out of control then you may wish :lol: ?

I have stabbted poked thumped and generally clouted ARB switches and the Winch freespools and they live to work another day ???

Nige

You think that the small plastic ARB type carling switches are more durable than a brass and steel air switch :rolleyes:

You think that the small plastic ARB type carling switches are more durable than a brass and steel air switch :rolleyes:

Prob not

But mine are on the dash and have even been kicked on with a flailing knee :lol:

Seriously I think the style of mounting is important ie a dash mount ARB switch vs a toggle lever sticking up in the air etc , just needs thinking through.

My Winch freespools are controlled by IP67 rocker switches, and seem also snatch block prrof as found when passenger got in slipped and dropped it on one :)

nige

I know this is most uncharacteristic for me....but I have a much simpler solution!

Not built it yet, but as soon as I get round to ordering a couple of EP9's for Sizuki - i'll be there!

The freespool toggle is held in place with a bolt. Although you normally rotate the toggle, you can just pull it up to disengage. Replace that bolt with an eye and use simple lever force multiplier connected to a choke cable? The built in return spring should be enough to return the cable. This leaves the toggle in place for manual operation from outside the vehicle.

No wires

No computers

No pneumatics

No leaks

No overdraft

Si

My freespool works on a push pull cable. It allows operation from the driver seat, but also from outside.

Very KISS, but then so is the rest of the winch (and the car).

Daan

Hi

I just wish taht my airlocker could be operated in that way, I just love when one can keep things simple.

Kind regards

Ole.