Heater box help

I've finally managed to get my 90 back on the road - the MOT man saw the light and gave me a nice green bit of paper. Now on to the rest of the jobs. Last year the fan motor in the heater box stopped working, and started popping fuses. I guess that it has ceased, and needs to be replaced. I know that to replace the motor, you need to remove the heater box, drill out the rivets, replace the motor, then re-rivet and replace.

The question is - would it just be easier to replace the whole lot with a second hand one, and does anybody know where I might get one? Is this an easy job, or is it another one of those jobs that I just wish I hadn't started?

Thanks

TM.

I've finally managed to get my 90 back on the road - the MOT man saw the light and gave me a nice green bit of paper. Now on to the rest of the jobs. Last year the fan motor in the heater box stopped working, and started popping fuses. I guess that it has ceased, and needs to be replaced. I know that to replace the motor, you need to remove the heater box, drill out the rivets, replace the motor, then re-rivet and replace.

The question is - would it just be easier to replace the whole lot with a second hand one, and does anybody know where I might get one? Is this an easy job, or is it another one of those jobs that I just wish I hadn't started?

Thanks

TM.

Once you have the whole lot out of the vehicle...... the motor just unbolts from the case no un riveting needed. The motor itself is very similar to the wiper motor, providing it hasn't burnt out it can easily be stripped and lubricated - this may be why its drawing too many amps - the oilite bearing bushes dry out. Doesn't take long to do.

Heater boxes come up on Eblag v often - watch them first to see what they go for - the cases are all the same size but matrix pipes vary - straight in on turned down. Trouble with Eblag is how do you know the matrix or the motor aren't sha%%ed? If I were you, i'd try fixing yours 1st...

Thanks for that. One problem that I have is that this is now my wife's only vehicle, since she 'forgot' that hers needed oil to run. This means that I can only have the landy off the road for one day at a time. How difficult a job is the removal of the heater box?

Remove air grill, then trunking - may have to remove washer bottle as well. Then its a couple of bolts at the top of the box and 2 attaching it to footwell. Unclip cables, undo hoses and plug ends - no need to drain cooling system. You could just join the hoses with 15mm copper pipe so you can get vehicle back on road whilst you fix heater box...

Guest diesel_jim

I've got a complete heater in the parents garage if you want it. good motor from what i can remember.

£30.

I'm in Swindon, so not too far from you, and i think i'm popping to Gloucester tomorrow with work so can drop it off/meet up.