Blowing oil

There seems to be some seepage of oil from the filler cap of my 200tdi. I thought it was just loose so I tightened the lugs, but it keeps on coming!

Is this some problem with blocked oil breather pipe? Or should I get dynarod in?

The good thing about this wet weather is that you notice the little trails of oil up the highway! OOPS!!

take the dipstick out and see if it spits at u when running, if so do a percentage test on your cylinders, worse case scenario u'll need a complete engine rebuild, thats wot happened to me :( broken piston rings causing excess crankcase pressure

Hi,

i had this new filler cap cured the problem.

regards

keith

Yeh, to go one one further, I tried to "mend" the filler cap! I tightened the two screws that hold on the metal lugs (and gave them a bend inwards for good measure), but in my over zealous nature when I put the cap back on it went POP! :( I carefully removed it to find I had stripped the plastic threads in which the metal screws are located!!! It doesnt bear thinking about what would have happened if they had dropped through! :o All this on a Sunday at 4pm!

Why are there no 24 hour landrover spares departments when you want them??

I went to two Automotive shops, but the reply was not good, so in desperation I went to Halfrauds. The lass in Halfauds tapped at her computer, and the reply "nah mate, dont stock them". On my way out I walked down an isle and noted they stocked about 5 different filler caps, (why they need a computer for that, I dont know!) but I selected one that looked similar (£3.50) and hey presto perfect fit!

Oil leak solved! (Well one of them! :D )

It could also be cracked pistons!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry:

Recent events have been an education.

On a more cheery (and cheaper note), if it is rings, you could put off the inevtable expense of a re-build for a few more thousand miles by replacing the rings.

Les. :)

Thanks Les, I've checked the dipstick as suggested, and no oil is being blown from there. Good news then? :)

Would there be other signs of ring damage (ooer missus!)?, theres no excessive smoke from the back. (except the bilge it chucks out on starting in the morning, but that seems normal)

Me thinks you have had some experience of this recently then?????

I think you probably just have a breathing problem, rather than anything serious (famous last words possibly!) Check the seperator on the side of the rocker cover and all associated pipework.

Normally, if it's rings or cylinder leak, you would get oil spitting out of the dipstick tube when the engine is running. If not, then this is a good sign I think.

Les.

I got the same problem, on my 2.5tdi but no oild spit when I remove the dipstick, it also only seems to happen after long runnning periods on tarmac , i;e; in fifth gear with the turbo wining away.....anyone who has seen this and found a cure let me know, the motor generally doesnt burn too much oil, about 1/3 a litre per 100kms. :huh:

Correct the oil consumption that was 1/3 litre per 1000kms , not per 100kms...ooops

Well I can't help with that as I don't have an oil consupmtion issue with my TDi but gogrin is this yours?

photo-633.jpg

Post up some details in the members vehicles forum. Its great to see someone on here from Brasil so a very warm welcome (there's an enhusiasm for the TGV 2.8 on here so you could find yourself shipping engines to UK owners of tired TDi's)