Rear Disc Brake conversion

As things progress with the teardown, i have another question for the guru's...

There is no shortage of disco's and rangies over here, is it possible to take a rear axle with disc brakes from them and put it on my 110.

Is the axle strong enough, will it fit, is there certain pn's to be aware of?

Any thoughts from you out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tracy

You're right Jim, it was me on here that mentioned it, on ebay, theres' even one at £185 UKP at the moment!

Jim & Jim,

Thanks for the information, diesel j, great thread, looks like more work than I thought, I should've checked the tech archieve first. On that note would a rangie or disco have a salisbury rear diff? There are plenty here!

The truck is in Abu Dhabi, where I'm currently working on it, I figure if the axles are coming off it might be worth swapping out! Jim A you're very right about shipping a rear diff to BC, probably cost more than I paid for the truck and kit!

Cheers,

Tracy

And 130's Ralph.

Tracy...you'll need a later model 110 via the scrappers...a couple in Sharjah (Fat Ishmail is a good source) if you ever get up that way.

Then you'll have to change the prop coz of the longer nose of the salisbury diff housing.

Neil keep telling me that we're coming down your way soon to collect the roofrack...we'll chat about it then before we watch the pole dancing.

S.

Streaky, thanks for the tip I'mhoping to make my way up three in a couple of weeks for a parts run, when I was removing the airbox, it pretty much just crumbled away, really bad Musaffah fbreglass repair, top quality work out there. You never know when they'll polish up the pole, but the beer is always cold! Built a carport over the truck so I could finish working on it in this heat. Looking forward to seeing your 130 at some point:)

Somewhere along you guys lost me on the thread, now I've figured it outnow, I take it the rear diff on my vehicle isn't a salisbury axle (still learning, will figure that out in a couple of days when I have better access).

Cheers Guys

Tracy

Hi Tracy, as you have a 110 it's a Salisbury unit on the rear. you could fit a Disco/RR rear disc braked axle, but it won't be rated for the 110's max loaded weight & may fail, you can use parts from them to convert to rear disc, just as Diesel_Jim has replyed in the link above. or you could sneak over & nick Streaky's rear axle off his 130 ----- but you never got that idea from me right :ph34r::ph34r::hysterical:

Hi Tracy, as you have a 110 it's a Salisbury unit on the rear. you could fit a Disco/RR rear disc braked axle, but it won't be rated for the 110's max loaded weight & may fail, you can use parts from them to convert to rear disc, just as Diesel_Jim has replyed in the link above. or you could sneak over & nick Streaky's rear axle off his 130 ----- but you never got that idea from me right :ph34r::ph34r::hysterical:

Thanks Ralph, I definitely won't go the Disco/RR axle route, will look into the brackets and other bits to do the conversion, the p#'s will help when i can get to the wreckers, or the great 130 spare parts bin, do you think Streaky would offer any assistance fitting his rear end if it was nicked :lol:

Diesel_Jim your insight has been very helpful, and, humorous

Bite me! I make the jokes around here :P

I've been looking to do the disc conversion on the 130 for ages but finding the parts out here to do the job properly has proved to be difficult.

Ralph...chances are that the canuk truck is infact a salisbury...but without knowing the entire history of a pre-expat owned truck you be surprised at what can find it's way underneath! Looking at the 2 pictures I've seen of Tracy's 110 I think I can make out a bigger rear pumpkin at the back.

(I knew a guy in Saudi who welded an engine directly to the chassis rails before he sold it...that's what goes on over here!)

I have fitted bigger vented discs to the front of mine and just keep an eye on the rears. The ol' girl weighs in at just under 3 tonnes and still stops ok 'ish.

Laters.

S.

Bite me! I make the jokes around here :P

The ol' girl weighs in at just under 3 tonnes and still stops ok 'ish.

Ok. Ralph no more jokes about about streaky's 3 tonne girl, I wouldn't get under something that heavy, especially the rear end! :o

You should see how they put the ear window togetther when they modified the body, not as bad as welding the engine to the frame, I think the guys in Saudi who worked on it started in Mussaffah!

My big problem is the corrosion on the hardware, that will probably be the most expensive [art of my rebuild!

Streaky, any ideas where I can get a truck cab rear window set up, 90 roof and a bonnet, trying to get rid of the Saudi mods! They have an Allmakes across the road from Gulfstars here! Are they alright to deal with?

Ralph,thanks again for the p/n will see whatIcan come up, with!

T