Brake Pipe flaring tool kit

Warthog

I've read the instruction sheet for the Sealey tool. Instructions

I think they've got single & double flares mixed up. I've always made the flare in 4d first and know this as a single flare, to form the double flare (shown in 4c) the single flare is opend up with the pointed die.

The other tools I've seen gauge how far the pipe must protrude for you, in this one you have to guestimate.

I've got one of these and it cost less than £20, so NER :rtfm:

med_gallery_2_211_861521.jpg

Les. :P

I have one of these too. Brilliant piece of kit, have had it for well over 20 years, small enough to work with under a vehicle as necessary, perfect single and double flares everytime.

Regards,

Diff

I've just looked up the instructions for my Motaproducts 'Easyflare' hand held flaring tool. This was sold as a 'hobby' tool, decades ago.

It doesn't show the funnel shaped flare at all (Sealey 4C).

It describes the 'olive' shaped flare (Sealey 4D double flare) as a single flare (and so agrees with rtbarton).

To make a Double flare it then requires you to use a second punch to put a SMALL funnel flare in the end of the 'olive'.

I THINK this is where the 'double flare' term comes from, being a combination of the olive and the funnel.

I'm also inclined to think that this small funnel is not an actual sealing face, but more to take the sharp edge off the olive flare, so that fluid flows more easily. This is reinforced, in my view, by the fact that the second flare punch has a pin in the centre to ensure the hole on the pipe is held clear.

I thought the device was fool proof, in that the pipe was inserted up to a stop, then clamped in position, then the operator just tightened the die punches down until they stopped. Having to re-learn how to use it the other week I realised I was wrong, in that driving the die punches too hard destroyed the end of the pipe.

Using just the second die (tightening until it stopped) one could make 'funnel flares' with a washer around the rim, such that the nut wouldn't pass over it.

If attempting a double flare, over-tightening the second punch (with the pin), one could fold the olive back in on itself, so ending up with a double skinned funnel flare. (This appears to be what rtbarton is calling a double flare).

It has struck me that this latter design might be useful, but I haven't put any of it to the test.

Looking further for reference, I found an Autobook for the BMC Mini which described the differences between Metric and Unified fittings / pipe ends. The pipe ends differed, but both appeared to be variations on the 'olive' flare. The Unified being a full olive, the Metric resembling an olive compressed after tightening into a housing with a shallow V.

It was not made clear whether these had the 'second flare / small funnel' refinement, but now I've figured out the benefit (I think) I see no reason NOT to use the second punch, just nipped, to round off the sharp edge.

We could do with a definitive site with all the pipe end options pictured, Imperial, Metric, Single, Double, whether a Double is a 'twin walled funnel flare', formed by collapsing an olive (single) flare, OR is it an olive with a small funnel superimposed (as defined above), etc.

I found this to show alternative fittings, but not pipe ends.

http://www.reedx.net/landrover/maint/brakefittings/index.htm

Anyone found any other online resources with good reliable information, rather than conjecture?

Edited to add this site, with pictures of yet another 'old flarer', and some pretty clear pictures of pipe ends, defining a single flare as an olive, and a double flare as an olive collapsed into a funnel, but he doesn't use those terms, naturally.

http://www.integerspin.co.uk/brakeflare.htm

Cheers.

I've read the instruction sheet for the Sealey tool. Instructions

I think they've got single & double flares mixed up. I've always made the flare in 4d first and know this as a single flare, to form the double flare (shown in 4c) the single flare is opend up with the pointed die.

The other tools I've seen gauge how far the pipe must protrude for you, in this one you have to guestimate.

Yes, the double flare is so-called because it takes two operations to make it.

You use the double flare where there is a convex conical shape in the union you're connecting to, notably the ends of flexible pipes and SOME slave cylinders - eg Series single leading shoe - look down the port to make sure. The sealing surface on a double flare is the inside surface of the cone.

The single flare is used where there is a concave cone in the fitting, ie the vast majority of slave & master cyclinders. The sealing surface of the single flare is the convex cone itself.

• 4 years later...