Difflock and warning light (confused) Help

Hi,

first of all this is a 1991 H reg 200tdi defender.

well i have just decided to look at my difflock light switch, found a broken wire!! (fixed now it works)

only problem is...

when in normal drive the light stays on!!!!

when i move the lever to lock position, the light goes out. then after a little while comes on (suggesting that it is working ok!!) but when movedback to normal position the light stays on!

this happens no matter what i do

I decided to look at this because of an offroad event i was trying to get out of a hole up a hill etc.

With difflock on i was still only getting 1 rear wheel spinning! but you could see one of the front wheels attempting to turn but not doing so...

How do i check if difflock is working?

is it because it might be low on oil? (just guessing) if so where do i check it? and what oil is best for the gearbox and diff (is the gearbox oil seperate to the transfer box oil)

What gearbox/transfer box is it?

any help would be very much appreciated

steve

did you remove the switch to repair the broken wire ? if yes, it most likely screwed in to far.

200Tdi has the LT77 main gearbox & LT230 transferbox.

use ATF [auto transmission fluid] same as the power steering in the main gearbox only, the fill/level plug is on the right hand side of the box about 1/2 way up the casing, use a 1/2 inch square drive of your ratchet handle or extension bar to remove/refit, fil & allow the fliud to find it's own level just below the fill hole.

use EP90 in the transfer box & both axles & front swivels, axles have the same fill/level plug as per main gearbox, transferbox same too on it's rear face to left of the transmission brake drum. fill/level is same for all.

did you remove the switch to repair the broken wire ? if yes, it most likely screwed in to far.

200Tdi has the LT77 main gearbox & LT230 transferbox.

use ATF [auto transmission fluid] same as the power steering in the main gearbox only, the fill/level plug is on the right hand side of the box about 1/2 way up the casing, use a 1/2 inch square drive of your ratchet handle or extension bar to remove/refit, fil & allow the fliud to find it's own level just below the fill hole.

use EP90 in the transfer box & both axles & front swivels, axles have the same fill/level plug as per main gearbox, transferbox same too on it's rear face to left of the transmission brake drum. fill/level is same for all.

thanks for your reply, will look at it later this week. ATF in a manual gearbox!!?

never removed switch to repair wire, just pulled connector off and renewed wire

does this sound as though previous owner might have screwed this in too far? as this has never worked since i have had it

also how do i check if the difflock is ACTUALLY working?

also how do i check if the difflock is ACTUALLY working?

Jack up 1 front wheel, secure axle on stand. Apply handbrake. If diff lock disengaged you should be able to turn jacked up wheel freely by hand. Engage diff lock, it should not now be possible to turn jacked up wheel. You may need to hold lever over to lock position and turn jacked up wheel a bit for it to engage. Likewise to disengage, hold lever over to unlock and wiggle jacked up wheel back and forth - lock should disengage and wheel will rotate.

Jack up 1 front wheel, secure axle on stand. Apply handbrake. If diff lock disengaged you should be able to turn jacked up wheel freely by hand. Engage diff lock, it should not now be possible to turn jacked up wheel. You may need to hold lever over to lock position and turn jacked up wheel a bit for it to engage. Likewise to disengage, hold lever over to unlock and wiggle jacked up wheel back and forth - lock should disengage and wheel will rotate.

thanks will do that mon evening, cheers

I think you mean, chock wheels and handbrake off, out of gear in main box......

I think you mean, chock wheels and handbrake off, out of gear in main box......

No, what he said was right. If the vehicle is in neutral and the handbrake is on with a front wheel jacked up that wheel should turn. Put diff lock in, it should not. That's always how I check a diff lock.

No, what he said was right. If the vehicle is in neutral and the handbrake is on with a front wheel jacked up that wheel should turn. Put diff lock in, it should not. That's always how I check a diff lock.

thanks all going to do this on tues eve now!

will let you all know what i find out

cheers