Peace and Quiet

OK so I am not expecting Utopia but I would like to make my 90 a bit quieter. :unsure::unsure:

yes I know shouldn't have bought a 90............ :D

Anyway my 90 is in bit's I have bought a new bulkhead and thought that at this stage I could possibly "build in" some noise insulation.

I was thinking of sticking noise reducing pads or something similar on most of the surfaces to help reduce noise and maybe provide a bit of insulation for those cold winter mornings.

There seem to be shed loads of people offering matts, pads etc and also noticed some expensive paint on noise reducing liquids.

The real question is have any of you tried these products and do they work?

How far do the nose reducing liquids cover and or any recommendations.

Are they worth the money?

Answers on a post card...

Regards

Grant

Whilst I had an empty engine bay during the 200Tdi conversion I took the opportunity

to do the same. I used self adhesive foil backed foam from Noisekiller, approx 8mm

thick, on both sides of the bulkhead. Came in sheet form and I cut to suit.

It has made a huge difference, and a friend reckons it's quieter inside than his 300.

Cost about a £100 IIRC.

I used the heavy rubber/plastic matting from Wrights Off Road to very considerable effect. Costly but it made a huge difference. I can now hear the radio!

I also have lined the back of the hard top with camping mat stuck on, but still have the roof to do. I thought I had it cracked when I saw Tesco do them at £1.97 each but the foam is of such low density that I do not think it will deaden the sound so I just need to pay a bit more for decent matting.

Good luck

Malcy

I always wonder how these foam-based things stand up to mud & water - don't they just absorb it? :huh: And how does the adhesive stand up?

Closed cell foam so it can't absorb, the foil did start coming off under the bonnet, dose of spray

on evo stick soon sorted it though.

I'd recommend the wright offroad matting as well. Looks very good and certainly does the job. Well worth it if you're keeping the vehicle for a while as it's not cheap. Had it fitted to my old 110 (could hear the radio in a 2.5NA :o ) and am going to buy a set along with some flat matting to replace the soggy carpets in my CSW. The stuff is made from a very dense plastic material used in tractor cabs etc, it's so heavy they used to have postal problems with it!

I always wonder how these foam-based things stand up to mud & water - don't they just absorb it? :huh: And how does the adhesive stand up?

hmm, not very well.

i bought a soundproofing kit several years ago from christie acoustics, who were bj acoustics and then became noise killer, or somehting along those lines. under bonnet stuff seems ok, but it tends not to get wet too much. main problem has been the floor mats. they were meant to be 80% waterproof (a figure i presume they plucked from the air), but they're not and they fill up and retain lots and lots of water. this mostly seems due to the linoleum stuff used top and bottom, which is the best promoter of condensation i have ever come across. they should take this stuff out into the desert to begin cultivation programmes. i left some in the garage to dry once and by the next day they were completely sodden underneath... ho hum. once wet they take about a week over the radiator to dry. they're also not terribly durable in that location, they have split and the linoleum stuff is beginning to delaminate around the edge.

in less harsh areas it seems fine, but down there i would not recommend it.

when i find something more suitble it shall be good riddence.

maybe the wright off road stuff is where its at.

wright off road stuff is spot on. Had it for 2years now, still looks great, no deterioration, water/oil/sand/dogs & pop don't touch the stuff. Easy to fit / remove. Works well, just not cheap.

I'd fit it to another defender I bought anyday. ;)

soundproof.jpg

Jas

Another vote for Wright Off Road,

£250 for the kit, including the foot well kick panels.

If you go this way take your time fitting it, you can also remove the seat box centre bracing which makes the whole thing look very neat. :)

Rod.

got a quote from WrightOffRoad.com off £230 inc vat and delivery for the R380 gearbox type. I intend to keep the defender for years, but i still ask myself is this realy worth the outlay. What you buys think?

got a quote from WrightOffRoad.com off £230 inc vat and delivery for the R380 gearbox type. I intend to keep the defender for years, but i still ask myself is this realy worth the outlay. What you buys think?

No.

Get a Range Rover instead.... :rolleyes::P:lol::lol:

I would disagree in that the Wrights Off Road stuff really is the dog's b**l*cks. Yes it is pricey but actually I reckon it is the best value modification I have done so far. I can hear the radio clearly now and it even changed my wife's view of travelling in The Beastie so that she now enjoys.

Malcy