Larger door mirrors,

Sells the puka extra long door mirror arms and larger mirror heads? I seem to recall it being DLS but can't find anything on the website, I know sherpa van ones fit but wanted nice shiny new ones for me new doors

anyone remember?

thanks

Matt

You are right Matt, Sherpa is what you are after.

Next time you pass the LDV dealer call in. The mirror glasses are better than the Land Rover ones but still made by Britax.

Car went sailing Thursday... I should catch up with it in two weeks....

mike

You are right Matt, Sherpa is what you are after.

Next time you pass the LDV dealer call in. The mirror glasses are better than the Land Rover ones but still made by Britax.

Car went sailing Thursday... I should catch up with it in two weeks....

mike

Blimey Mike thats come around quick! I hope you and margaret have a wonderful trip, and travel safe. how long you off for this time?

I've just been in touch with my britax man lol! so will see what he comes back with.

Matt

Paddocks and MM4x4 sell the larger mirror heads. No mention of the arms though. The longer arms are used on the Military Wolfs so sqauddies can see around the side mounted spare. These should be available from a LR dealer. They were also used on LDV's (Sherpa and 400 series).

Kev

Matt...

We are planning to be back in time to go to the Donington show..Arriving in England on the Thursday before the show. Travelling home on the Friday with Rachel taking us to Donington...

Have you got your computer sorted yet ??

mike

Matt...

We are planning to be back in time to go to the Donington show..Arriving in England on the Thursday before the show. Travelling home on the Friday with Rachel taking us to Donington...

Have you got your computer sorted yet ??

mike

Blimey Mike! Christmas in the sunshine! think computer is sorted will try and get on msn this week.

Kev thanks for the info, I'm sure some one used to sell the complete set mirrors and arms, I'll look into it again.

Matt

Britax stopped manufacturing the mirrors several years ago and the new ones (identical in every way) are made by Unitruck. There are two types of head, the unbreakable(!) ones as fitted fitted to the XD etc and the large version of the OE type which looks identical, fits the original arms but has twice the glass area.

I have used the larger heads (OE style) on my LR's for about 15-years now and I found that buying them from an LDV dealer was an expensive way of doing it, a commercial vehicle motor-factors (at least one in every town) will sell the same part for approximately half the price.

When you are there you can ask them about self adhesive heater elements which stick onto the rear of the glass, I have used these for years now and am very impressed with them, they are also a lot cheaper than the places who sell the complete kit which is handy if you want the switch (c/w legend) to match any existing auxillary switches you may have fitted.

That's interesting because when I sold my old LR to buy my current 90, I let the large heads go with it and when I was trying to buy replacements I initially had some difficulty. I rang Britax direct and was surprised to hear that they were no-longer manufatcuring the larger heads and manufacture had transfered across to Unitruck. This point was further proved to me when I went into an LDV dealer and while pretending to consider the purchase of their overpriced parts, I looked at the rear of the new mirror head and saw that they were indeed made by Unitruck (they are printed Unitruck where they used to say Britax). A quick trip into the motor factors down the road and I had a pair of heads and heater elements for little over the cost of a single head from LDV.

• 3 years later...

i've re energized this thread, a i have been hunting for a viable solution to my mirror problem.

I am now towing a large caravan, and the standard mirrors are just not man enough... I did purchase a set of long arms, and large heads from an internet source, and the idea is great, good vision no issues. However, the product i bought is pretty low quality...

I have priced Britpart long arms up at £50.00 each....

has anyone else found a solution to this problem. i.e. i would like Long Wolf type arms, and larger mirror heads....

perhaps the answer is Britparts long arms and then some aftermarket large heads....

Oh, and the soltion needs to be as cost effective as possible....

I've tried both the military larger mirror head and the Paddocks standard shape large head. Both are fine providing that all you want to see is the road surface alongside you ! :)

At anything over about 55 mph the wind pushes the mirror head down, quite useless. If you try to tighten the clamps up, you just end up pulling the bottom out of the mirror !

I've gone back to standard heads now.

Mo

I fitted a pair of the 'unbreakable' ones to my 90 about 18-months ago (I went for the heated type), they are not as large as my original mirror-heads (see my earlier postings in this thread) but they are slightly larger than the standard ones.

My considered opinion? I wouldn't bother as the image is not as clear as normal glass, they are prone to slight vibrations and at night it is like looking into a dim-dip interior mirror with a dual image. They are made by Spafax who are an OE & MOD supplier but unfortunately being bullet-proof doesn't make them better than the standard units.

The long-arm type are available for £40 a pair (+P&P) including heads, a quick search on Ebay will come up with them but to make it even easier the listing number is 280660074865.

Used the large head type for about 15-years without any problems of them tilting down at speed (cruising at 75MPH), my parents also had a set on their motorcaravan and they didn't have any problems either.

Thanks for the eBay link. That is actually what I have bought , although I was trying to be discrete on the source. As 2 pairs in and they suffer from similar falling over faults. I think I am convincing myself that the additional size vs drag from wind is the real problem.....

So I am going to try standard heads on the long arms I have and give that a wiz over....

I have driven wagons with unbreakables on, and they are ok, but I always feel as someone said above that being bullet proof doesn't help the vision.....

Thanks for the suggestions...

If you really are having problems with the larger heads tilting back at speed (can't see why as I used them for over 15-yeras without any issues) then pop a drop of loctite on the ball and reassemble it, with the larger heads I never had cause to adjust them to get a better view so they will never be disturbed.

The only issue I can see with what I have just said is that you might turn the arms out for towing and in for solo driving which WOULD require the heads to be adjusted, are you likely to have to do this?

Mmmm, the other night i attempted to swap the standard heads onto the £40 internet arms. They dont fit. The standard mirror ball fixing is significantly larger (and probably has more friction to restrict wind drag movement) than the £40 internet version.

Also on close inspection of these arms, you can see the linishing marks on the arm, and the paint / coating on standard arms is far superior....

So, it looks like this experiment has finished, and i'll return the arms and large heads, and replace with some wolf type arms.