What's that noise?

My 110 has started making a binding/screeching noise noticeable during manoeuvering when moving forward with left-hand lock on. I've checked for movement in the bearings (none) and debris trapped between the brake disc and the stone guard (also none). Can anyone suggest what the cause could be and/or how I can find out what's wrong?

Thanks,

Phil.

Power steering belt / pump?

Steve, thanks for that suggestion, I've assumed it's not the belt or pump because the noise is only heard when the vehicle's moving. Having written that I realise how potentially silly it is, I'm generally more aware of the pitfalls that go with making assumptions!

Phil.

Steve, thanks for that suggestion, I've assumed it's not the belt or pump because the noise is only heard when the vehicle's moving. Having written that I realise how potentially silly it is, I'm generally more aware of the pitfalls that go with making assumptions!

Phil.

It was the first thing that came to mind Phil ...doesn't mean it's right though ;)

It was the first thing that came to mind Phil ...doesn't mean it's right though ;)

Had another look this morning, checked the UJs etc as Yostumpy suggested but didn't find anything amiss. Used the car for a short trip during which I had to brake hard to avoid a tractor and noticed when I was parking that the noise seems to have gone. If it is cured, I suspect it must have been something wedged around the brake pad or stuck in the pad itself.

This reminds me that I've wondered before about removing the guards from the back of the wheels as they often seem to trap muck and stones. I've never done it as I assume they're there for a reason and removing them might do more harm than good - views anyone?

Phil.

This reminds me that I've wondered before about removing the guards from the back of the wheels as they often seem to trap muck and stones. I've never done it as I assume they're there for a reason and removing them might do more harm than good - views anyone?

Phil.

I removed mine - no adverse effects. Like you say, they just collect detritus.