Temperature sender units again!

Jon White

Sorry - same old question again! Can anyone tell me what resistance there is accross the temperature sender unit on a 200Tdi defender when the engine is running at its normal operating temperature?

If no one knows would anyone be kind enough to measure it for me? Needs to be a factory 200Tdi defender using the standard defender guage. A discovery one is different!

I'm kind of hoping the answer is going to be in the region of 75 ohms!

Cheers

Jon

Jon, just treid on my 200Tdi with multimeter set to ohms, couldn't get a reading, it wasn't at normal working temp if that makes a difference, can try again tomorrow after a run to get it upto temp, & I know the temp transmitter is working fine as the gauge moves.

Guest dew110CSW

I had a weird problem with my temp sender today - Was cruising home from work at about 70mph, just pulled up a hill when I looked down and saw the gauge was at the edge of the white (oh ****), so I backed her down to about 40 and limped along the dual carriageway to a lay-by. Once I got there I popped the bonnet and the engine was really very cold (Not even normal working temp - wasn't far from work and hadn't been dogging it).

So I set off and the gauge went to half way, until I accelerated when it climbed to edge of white, then shifted to second and dropped to half again, and so on till I got into third. Drove home very carefully after that...

Jon, just treid on my 200Tdi with multimeter set to ohms, couldn't get a reading, it wasn't at normal working temp if that makes a difference, can try again tomorrow after a run to get it upto temp, & I know the temp transmitter is working fine as the gauge moves.

Thanks Ralph. You need one probe on where the gauge wiring would normally go and one probe on a good earth. You should still get a reading regardless of engine temperature.

When its warm a disco one is about 250ohms. I measured the one on Nigels V8 90 the other day and that was about 75 ohms at operating temp, so I'm hoping that a 200 defender one is the same!

The reason for wanting to know - the temp gauge in my series reads right in the middle of the gauge with a sender resistance of about 75ohms. I've got a 200tdi discovery lump waiting to go in, and if all I need to do is use the defender sender unit then I'm lauging with getting the temp gauge to work! Unfortunately the series sender unit is designed to run with a 74 degree thermostat, so when you run with an 88 degree (as the tdi does) the needle stays firmly buried in the red!

Cheers

Jon

Well, I've tried, couldn't get any where near 75 ohms, multimeter set on the upto 100ohms range & all I could get was 0.3 on the lcd display,tried all the different selections as well, got 82 at the back of the temp gauge.

sorry not been much help :(

Just treid again, now the engine is almost cold, multimeter set to 2k range for a resolution of 1ohm, one lead to terminal the wire to gauge connects to other wire to earth [body of transmitter] display shows .975 ohms, as I adjusted the ohm range the last 2 digits disappeared off the scale, so .975 is best I can get at the temp transmitter.

my multimeter is a Skytronic model number 600.527. if it helps.