Going Auto on a 300 TDI

DefcoL

I am in the middle of swapping from Man to auto box on my 300 tdi tray back, Box is in and now need to fit the oil pipes and cooler.

I have a D44 bumper fitted with a 8274, so this may be in the way of normal location. by routing the pipes I can see where the cooler may be located on the front but need to know the distance between it and the engine rad, and what fixings are used.

Went to local Halfords and got the book so as to understand the wiring with the added hope of seeing how the cooler should be located....

but no info to be found.

Do you have a pic of your cooler location that i can have?

Are the wiring looms same for Man and Auto?

How to ensure it only starts in Park or neutral

and any relevant info would be appreciated.

TIA

Lawrence

Morning,

Have (I think as my email is playing up) replied to your email.

Will get pics and dimensions this evening.

The Start inhibit is done via a switch on the gearbox (IIRC it is on the nearside of the box near the top).

Can't help with the loom differences.

HTH

Pete.

Evening Lawrence,

Sorry for the delay had a bit of a water pump issue.

Here are some photo's of the Autobox Oil cooler as promised.

autobox009.jpg

autobox008.jpg

autobox007.jpg

autobox006.jpg

autobox005.jpg

autobox004.jpg

autobox003.jpg

autobox002.jpg

autobox001.jpg

The distance from the Rad Frame to the back of the Oil Cooler is 41/2" and the distance from the centre of the bolt that mounts the oil cooler to the body work to top of the chassis rail is 4".

Have sent the Pics etc via email as well.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Evening Lawrence,

Sorry for the delay had a bit of a water pump issue.

Here are some photo's of the Autobox Oil cooler as promised.

The distance from the Rad Frame to the back of the Oil Cooler is 41/2" and the distance from the centre of the bolt that mounts the oil cooler to the body work to top of the chassis rail is 4".

Have sent the Pics etc via email as well.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Many thanks Pete, it confirms my worst wishes.

As my front winch is mounted there; I will need to find an alternative location and that will mean new pipes as well = £'s lots of.

Any suggestions?

post-892-1186516121_thumb.jpg

post-892-1186516386_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I think that some people have moved the oil cooler up to clear the top of the winch and then had a local hydraulics company make up some flexible hoses to run from the autobox to the cooler. Beyond that I can't help.

Pete.

I have moved my oil cooler up top end of the rad area using flexible hydraulic hoses sorced from pirtek hoses, all you need to do is cut the solid metal pipes near the chassis route the flexible pipes up an reconnect using the compression fittings from pirtek, from memory the hoses and compression fittings were about £120(expensive due to the metal Land rover pipes being imperial size) Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I have just done a very similar job on the 101, and there is a disco oil cooler surplus to requirements if you would like it, am based in Southam warks. For the pipe work it was all very cheap from the local agricultural supplies / fitters, made me up 2 complete crimped pipes for £9. Am sure you will have one somewhere near you.