Clutch bite change?

Hello,

My mate has a lovely late 300 tdi defener 90 with about 140,000 on the clock. The other day when driving back from an event, the position of clutch-bite changed to about an inch from the bottom of full pedle travel. Previously the clutch engaged near the top of the travel. This change happened instantly.

I have searched the archives and there are many clutch symptoms discussed, but non that fit exactlty.

There is no fluid loss in the reservior, or master cylinder leak onto the driver's rubber mat. There is no clutch slip.

Could it be that the clutch fork is giving up and punching through the pivot point?

Thanks for your thoughts

Chris.

Classic symptom of the master or slave cylinder going. You'll probably have no clutch very soon.

Carefully clamp the flexi hose to the slave cylinder and try the clutch.

If the pedal is rock hard, then the problem is the slave.

If the pedal still moves then it's the master.

When I tried this, there was a bang and the pedal went to the floor as the master gave up.

The slaves are so cheap that I did both, as there was a lot of nasty stuff in the clutch fluid that would probably have killed the slave soon too.

Classic symptom of the master or slave cylinder going. You'll probably have no clutch very soon.

Carefully clamp the flexi hose to the slave cylinder and try the clutch.

If the pedal is rock hard, then the problem is the slave.

If the pedal still moves then it's the master.

When I tried this, there was a bang and the pedal went to the floor as the master gave up.

The slaves are so cheap that I did both, as there was a lot of nasty stuff in the clutch fluid that would probably have killed the slave soon too.

I'd add that it's a pointless exercise only changing either the master or the slave - if one has failed the other won't be far away. Replace both as a matter of course.

Matt