fuel filter location

Just made me remember a ? i was going to ask........

Recently bought a defender also and spent a while finding the fuel filter - next thought was how to remove it for changing?

Maybe a silly question but worth asking before i go breaking something expensive

Recently bought a defender also and spent a while finding the fuel filter - next thought was how to remove it for changing?

Maybe a silly question but worth asking before i go breaking something expensive

Which engine?

Ralph is talking about the sedimenter, which is on the rear chassis rail, though it's not fitted to all vehicles.

The fuel filter is under the bonnet, bolted to the right of the bulkhead (left as you look into the engine)

Changing is just a matter of unscrewing and replacing it.

You can drain it first, for a slightly less mucky job.

Partially undo the bleed screw on the top of the housing.

Unscrew the drain plug from the bottom of the filter and drain into a coke bottle or similar.

Then replace the filter as normal. It doesn't have to be done up too tight.

Tighten the bleed screw.

If you have a 200tdi, just crank it till it starts. It's cough a bit till the filter is full again. Check the filter isn't leaking.

Don't know about other engines.

(Edited to add: TD5 eh? I'll get me coat :ph34r: )

no just be careful when you take the filter off - hold a 2 litre ice cream tub or something underneath it to catch any spillage

once you refit the filter, press the pedal right to the floor and release immediately, do this 5 times and the engine management light on the dash should start flashing and the fuel pump will do an on-off-on-off purge cycle lasting for a few minutes, once the light stops flashing press the pedal to the floor and crank till it starts, this carries out the purge to remove any air from the system, the fuel pump might wail a bit but should quieten down after a bit of a run once all the air is out of the fuel system

HTH

ah i see,

once you refit the filter, press the pedal right to the floor and release immediately, do this 5 times and the engine management light on the dash should start flashing

so you do this with the key out and engine managment takes care of the rest