Oh Poo!

Jason2

Hi Guys :D

PLEASE can some one "in the know" put me out of my misery and tell me that my 300tdi R380 gearbox is knacked.

Got back from a 2k trip to Spain last week no problems (except gear stick was a little stiffer than usual on arrival).

Set off on a 200 mile trip yesterday and gear change got progressively worse:

Difficulty from 1st-2nd with out crunching.

Difficulty from 3rd to 4th.

Comes down the box O.K except no way of getting into 2nd, no abnormal noises except for in 1st & 2nd when you let off the power the gearbox let's off an almighty coggy scream!!!

Managed to get us home, dropped the gearbox oil on arrival (that I changed 7k ago and was fine) and it's now got a lovely bronze syncro shimmer to it with a few small bits of cog!!

So if somebod could just comfirm that it's duffed, it would be much appreciated before I get my matches out :o

Cheers in advance

Jason

May not be that bad. Syncro ring or shims breaking up on the mainshaft will cause too much end float and make selecting gears difficult or even impossible. Doesn't mean the whole box is duff though so if you're feeling up to splitting the box it could be remedied relatively cheaply.

May not be that bad. Syncro ring or shims breaking up on the mainshaft will cause too much end float and make selecting gears difficult or even impossible. Doesn't mean the whole box is duff though so if you're feeling up to splitting the box it could be remedied relatively cheaply.

Thanks for that LR90

Could this also explain the racket coming out of the box under engine breaking in 1st & 2nd?

I have no problem with actualy changing the geabox but was under the impression that actualy splitting,repairing the box needed special tools & know how!

Cheers

Jason

Cipx did a good article, detailing an R380 stripdown, with plenty of good-quality pictures (http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=13943) if you're feeling brave enough.

I was planning to do a similar job (hence my comments on the original thread), but then copped out and bought a replacement box from Ashcrofts, purely becuase of times constrainst, of course!! ;)

Now, 2 months later (MY delay, not Ashcrofts!!) the transmission's back in 1 piece and waiting to be lifted into place...... I'm getting there (slowly)......

Dunk

Cipx did a good article, detailing an R380 stripdown, with plenty of good-quality pictures (http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=13943) if you're feeling brave enough.

I was planning to do a similar job (hence my comments on the original thread), but then copped out and bought a replacement box from Ashcrofts, purely becuase of times constrainst, of course!! ;)

Now, 2 months later (MY delay, not Ashcrofts!!) the transmission's back in 1 piece and waiting to be lifted into place...... I'm getting there (slowly)......

Dunk

No time to do a box strip down, so have ordered a re-con from the U.K.

Posted for fitting advice here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=16715

Thanks once again to all.

Jason