Exmoor Chillout Event

Exmoor Chill!

Lynmouth Foreshore, Devon. 29 September 2007

Just Land-Rovers and relaxing.

I have managed to blag the use of this site for the day. It’s the green bit next to the beach.

lynmouth4.jpg

There is room on the site for over 100 Land-Rovers, parking will be at a bargain £5 per vehicle for the day. Once the site is full you will have to resort to the public car parks or the roadside parking in the village. There are further car parks in Lynton which is a short ride on the cliff railway away if it gets really silly. We will have a raffle on the day with Land-Rover related and other prizes to raise a bit of money for the local youth club and the Devon Air Ambulance. There will be a few other prizes to be won during the day.

For those feeling strong there will be a Land-Rover Pulling contest. One Land-Rover, One Rope, One Man (or woman) and a stop watch.

Theres lots for the family to do on the day. We will be right on the beach so it will be easy to keep and eye on the kids rockpooling. There are boat trips to be had from the harbour. The Cliff Railway to marvel at. There is the Glen Lyn Gorge where the kids can play with enormous water cannons and learn about hydro electric generation first hand. There is a tiny museum in Lynton which houses all manner of treasures. Probably the best cinema you will ever see in your life in Lynton. Lots of shops selling everything from top-notch outdoor clothing and gadgets to locally produced art and sculpture.

For anyone wanting to camp we have arranged a great rate at Channel View Campsite which is a couple of miles away. Alternatively you can find links to several Pubs, Hotels etc on the following website:

http://www.lyntonandlynmouth.com

Take the time to follow the links on the above website to find out more about the venue and the surrounding area.

For anyone coming from miles away we are on the north coast of Devon about 6 miles west of Somerset. Driving from the north down the M5 leave at Bridgewater and trundle along the spectacular A39 or carry on to Junc 27 and up the A361/A399/A39. From Bridgewater its about an hour and a quarter drive. As a guide we are about 3.5 hours from London or Birmingham allowing for a coffee stop along the way.

I have a few other plans that haven't been finalised yet but I will add them as I can.

Any queries give me a shout :)

Will :)

Jim asking for cake no suprise there then

i put £££ on you winning the LR pull contest.................

that is if you act as a ground anchor and the landy has to try and pull you along, i dont reckon it will shift you.............

Yep same weekend as L2B.

let me see, stuck in a huge trafic jam in the south-east or sat by the beach sipping pimms and talking Land-Rovers? No-brainer isn't it?

Will, you forgot, plus 3 hours hassle to get to Crystal Palace on the sat, then the grief coming back Sun night along the south coast !!! :blink:

let me see, stuck in a huge trafic jam in the south-east or sat by the beach sipping pimms and talking Land-Rovers? No-brainer isn't it?

I've never found the L2B anything other than a good laugh - SLRC & NTMKLRC tend to put on a good party the night before, the drive down is no biggie and parking up by the seafront and talking land rovers is a pleasant afternoon.

If it was a different weekend I'd go to both events :( as it is, the slightly closer one with 1000 landies wins I'm afraid. I hope yours goes well though, it's a cracking idea. If you don't double-book the next one I'm sure Shires would pop down with a few trucks.

To be honest I didn't even think about the L2B when I set the date. Theres loads of other stuff on locally and I tried to fit it in around that.

From the response I have had I think we may well be somewhat overwhelmed! If it works well I might need to find a different site for next year. It has already been suggested by a local that we could use the Valley of Rocks next year if we need more space!

I've been to the L2B three times - in a 1951 S1 as well. Never had a problem with traffic though - perhaps we were lucky?

It is an amazing event. Seeing all the different Land Rovers and different clubs makes it worth doing even if it's just the once.

Will, you made the comment -

29th it is, stuff L2B

on another website. A lot of people take a great deal of time and effort to attend it - from military right through to the latest Land Rovers, and the meet on Brighton sea front is excellent. Slagging off a Land Rover tradition to promote your own event is not good IMHO.

Les.

Will, you don't strike me as a nervous type of chap! Especially after the chemist shop incident....

From the feedback so far, you're looking at ~30 Land Rovers and there's still 7 weeks to go!

For a first event (and I sincerely hope it's the first of many), I don't think that's too bad at all.

Considering there's been a slight rumbling lately of 'old fashioned' shows / meetings becoming popular again, I don't see why this event wouldn't catch on.

By the way, I meant to ask you if the jet-ski people in their Mitsubishi L200's still go to Lynmouth? It would be kind of fun to have the place full of LR's and two L200's parked up in the harbour.

Get a grip Les, you know me well enough to know that was in jest. I have nothing but respect for anyone who organises any event.

I am sure this won't make a dent on L2Bs attendance. If I am wrong and 1000 Land-Rovers turn up here I will be run out of town and it will be all my own fault ;)

Guest WALFY

I'm torn now. Being in Wiltshire it's just as easy to go to either. Bugger. Not done L2B before. We'll see what the long haired general has to say on the matter :D

Will, I realise you're not worried about the L2B and that you're probably not going to hurt their attendance - but I'm sure there are others like me who would really like to do *both* events (yours sounds cool) but find themselves torn. :(

Guest WALFY

Will

Don't worry abut it. People will make their own choice as to what's important to them. I know which way I'm going to push er indoors. A bit of blackmail won't go a miss either :D :D :D . I'm sure she's after new clothes/handbag or other useless girly rubbish :D :D

Hopefully see you there ;)