OT Khyam Type Quick Erect tents

Mo Murphy

Decathlon do a range of 'throw it and it's up' type tents (IIRC around £30 for a decent size 2-man). Don't know if they are any good, but they are cheap! I'm thinking of getting one to stow in the back of the RRC... Worth a look I reckon

TwoSheds

As the titles ask :)

Mo

Hi Mo

We Have had good use off the 2 seconds one from these guys :http://www.quechua.com/

It is now 3 years old and stil keeps heayv rain out has been used aprox 4 weeks each year with out any problems ours is the 80cm diameter, wich is the only drawback when traveling by air, in the truck it fits neatly up under the roof.

Kind regards

Ole.

Never had one myself but Lucy rode all over Europe with a Khyam 'one flop' as she calls them and she bores everyone senseless with tales of how good it was. If she couldn't wreck it biking around on an MZ they must be worth the extra money.

£30 tents generally make you wish you were in a B&B at about 3am in my experience.

Will :)

I bought a Khyam Highlander tent in 1990 and it's been everywhere. I could bore you with how fab it was - but I wont. It finally wore out last year, so I bought as close a replacement as I could, a Khyam 3 man dome tent.

I have to say I'm less impressed with it than my old one. The ground sheet part of the inner now looks like a tea-bag after pitching on rocky ground at 7S and the construction just doesn't feel as bulletproof as before. I doubt this will last 16 years even with the far more limited use it's getting (compared to when I was young!).

I'm even considering buying one of these instead!

Most of the 1 second erect tents are single skin, which is less than brilliant with UK weather. A lot of the cheap ones are also too small for me at least. The one linked to is double skin and big enough for me - even a couple of me at a push!

Si

Thanks very much Gents, lots of good info. I remember that Khyam were the dog's gonads when they first came out out, seems a shame that they seem to have swapped volume manufacture for quality :(

There seems to be a good choice of others available, Simon's tip being useful since we have a Milletts in town should there be a problem and I prefer the idea of a flysheet since this was how I ended up when laning in Surrey and Hants a couple of weeks ago :(

25-07-07_2023.jpg

Mo