Fuel economy

Hmmmmm normally 29 to 32 UK MPG

Worst 28

Best 42/43

Thats a 1987 90 running a 200 tdi, with disco transfer box, roof rack, winch and lots of other bits and pieces. The engine is neigh on standard, just the fueling turned up, I simply fitted a new one (hens teeth!)

H

Hmmmmm normally 29 to 32 UK MPG

Worst 28

Best 42/43

Thats a 1987 90 running a 200 tdi, with disco transfer box, roof rack, winch and lots of other bits and pieces. The engine is neigh on standard, just the fueling turned up, I simply fitted a new one (hens teeth!)

H

42/43?!!! No disrespect, but are you sure you are working it out correctly? I mean that is high by any standards!

My 200Tdi used to do figures closer to Scotians - although I did get 32 on a good run on good diesel on a French motorway.

Chris

300Tdi 90, 265 muds - 24mpg, with 205 road tyres - 24mpg also (so put the muds back on after a couple of tanks). That's pretty much all short runs on tight country lanes.

Last tank was BP ultimate, got just over 25mpg, not quite enough to make the extra cost worthwhile, but trying another tankfull just in case!

1991 200tdi 90 - totally standard engine running 235 ATs I get 27mpg regardless of whether i'm driving like my ass is on fire round lanes or cruising at 55 on the motorway.

I changed the fuelling (smoke screw and diaphragm) last weekend, so interested to see the effect on fuel consumption.

42/43?!!! No disrespect, but are you sure you are working it out correctly? I mean that is high by any standards!

My 200Tdi used to do figures closer to Scotians - although I did get 32 on a good run on good diesel on a French motorway.

Chris

Well hows Carlisle to Bangor (north wales) round bangor a few times, over to Dublin and then down to Cork city............. and thats on a 90 tank (11 gallons)

H

How come everyone gets better results on the motorway. Obviously a normal car does, but with my landrover I've always got my worst figures with motorway driving becuase defenders have different gear ratios that are not suited for motorway driving.

Well hows Carlisle to Bangor (north wales) round bangor a few times, over to Dublin and then down to Cork city............. and thats on a 90 tank (11 gallons)

H

Sounds like a very pretty drive - but what is it telling me?

Chris

I got down to 8mpg at one stage in my 90 TD - I hooked a 4.5 tonne trailer to the back and headed off down the A12 at 65mph. - Try stopping that at the lights (if you work for the DVLA/police I did not do this BTW)

It also depends on its mood 'see my other thread' in its good mood it will do 20-22mpg at 70mph, in its bad mood it will do 12mpg at 65mpg

300Tdi 110 CSW - typically 25 round the Peak District to 28-30 on the motorway (depending on how much of a hurry I am in!). Worst was 19.4 average out of one tankful, foot down across Germany. It still rolls out mpg figures comparable with when I bought it 260k miles ago in '97.

Td5 110 CSW - typically 22-24, improving to 27-28 on a motorway run. Boot (further up the thread) now has the vehicle and mustn't drive it like it was stolen! SWMBO used to squeeze 30ish out of it on a run. Pushed hard with a roof rack on, I reckon you could see the fuel gauge going down.

Overfinch 570HSi RRC - don't ask! Well, the first two tanks averaged 9 due to hooning around. Then settled in to 12-14 on local runs and 16-18 on motorway runs (depending how much of a rush I am in). Haven't tried any significant towing, so there's a new experience awaiting.

I cant get more than 60 (65 if I am very lucky) and how come everyone thinks I drive fast? There's been a few comments regarding that.. A couple of weeks ago I said that when I was 18 I was driving fast in Army Landrovers.. Alot of water has past under the bridge since then...

First off I'm so glad to know I'm not the only sad mpg obsessed Defender fanatic. I have a 1990 110 200 Tdi, which has done about 240,000 miles on the same engine and gear box (neither reconditioned). It used to do 500 miles on a tank (30mpg) regularly and then dipped to 450 miles. I've tried lots of variables over the last few years (Kenlowe fan, biodiesel, K&N air filter, Brownchurch on, Brownchurch off) and eventually narrowed the major difference down to tyres - both style and pressures.

I'm running on Goodyear Wrangler 7.50 R16s set at pressures of 1.9bar (front) and 3.3 bar (rear). As soon as I settled on that the mpg has gone back up to almost 32mpg over the last circa 500 mile tank.

I have been sticking to about 60 on the motorway / dual carriageways and not accelerating too hard or using too much engine braking. However, that doesn't make the biggest difference and I'm now a tyre pressure nerd as well as an mpg nerd.

Incidentally, I expect to get a bit better improvement soon. I've just noticed that after 18 years the seams on the fuel tank seem to be weeping a bit. I don't know, they just don't make stuff like they used to! :P

PS Best ever was nearly 40 mpg on the way home North through France last year. However, I did have - quite literally - the wind behind me. I had to be careful not to drive too fast. The wind was so strong and I was tanking along at such a speed I though I was going to blow the dang thing up!

First off I'm so glad to know I'm not the only sad mpg obsessed Defender fanatic. I have a 1990 110 200 Tdi, which has done about 240,000 miles on the same engine and gear box (neither reconditioned). It used to do 500 miles on a tank (30mpg) regularly and then dipped to 450 miles. I've tried lots of variables over the last few years (Kenlowe fan, biodiesel, K&N air filter, Brownchurch on, Brownchurch off) and eventually narrowed the major difference down to tyres - both style and pressures.

I'm running on Goodyear Wrangler 7.50 R16s set at pressures of 1.9bar (front) and 3.3 bar (rear). As soon as I settled on that the mpg has gone back up to almost 32mpg over the last circa 500 mile tank.

I have been sticking to about 60 on the motorway / dual carriageways and not accelerating too hard or using too much engine braking. However, that doesn't make the biggest difference and I'm now a tyre pressure nerd as well as an mpg nerd.

Incidentally, I expect to get a bit better improvement soon. I've just noticed that after 18 years the seams on the fuel tank seem to be weeping a bit. I don't know, they just don't make stuff like they used to! :P

PS Best ever was nearly 40 mpg on the way home North through France last year. However, I did have - quite literally - the wind behind me. I had to be careful not to drive too fast. The wind was so strong and I was tanking along at such a speed I though I was going to blow the dang thing up!

Yea!!! Someone else who has managed to get neigh on 40mpg from a tdi defender!!!

H

Normal tyre pressures for a 80 is about 28psi in the front and 32psi in the back. That is way less than 1.9 and 3.3 bar.. Isnt 3.3 bar very high to the extent of being dangerous or at least bad for the tyre? Having said that if it makes that much difference on mpg I might increase the pressure..

• 3 weeks later...
So, what I would like to know is what engine do you have, what mpg do you get typically and what is your best/worst ever recorded? Especially keen to hear from '07 MY owners.

Was disappointed to get an average of 20mpg in my 110 TDCi going from Gaborone to Maputo last week, all on tar, most in top gear. I have a roof rack on but I think there is something else going on. Possibly front brake binding. Vehicle was brand new so I had no time to get used to it before setting off.

Ruaraidh

Normal tyre pressures for a 80 is about 28psi in the front and 32psi in the back. That is way less than 1.9 and 3.3 bar.. Isnt 3.3 bar very high to the extent of being dangerous or at least bad for the tyre? Having said that if it makes that much difference on mpg I might increase the pressure..

Scotian, you gave me a scare! Being the nerd I am I dashed off and looked up the official Landy 110 2.5Tdi pressures again. They are 28 front (1.93 bar) and 48 rear (3.309 bar) - and they're the same loaded / at speed / whatever.

I know, I know - that seems ridiculously high (on the back). What can I tell you? I ran the back tyres on a lower pressure for a while and my mpg dived.

Maybe I'm doing my sums wrong? Here's how I work it out. I just filled up today (74.5 litres) after 524 miles (on the Defender clock), which means I used 16.39 gallons (74.5 litres divided by 4.546) , giving an mpg of 31.97.

Of course everything's gone to pot now as I've bought a 1991 J plate 110 CSW 200Tdi with big fat tyres. I filled it up t'other day and discovered the seams on the tank leak like nobody's business. I'm hoping that's the reason I only got 430-ish miles on the tank. It's going in for a plastic tank on Wednesday.

...anyone interested in my 200Tdi hard top at £2,000? :rolleyes:

Was disappointed to get an average of 20mpg in my 110 TDCi going from Gaborone to Maputo last week, all on tar, most in top gear. I have a roof rack on but I think there is something else going on. Possibly front brake binding.

Brake sorted, this consumption improved to 28.5 mpg on the return from Jo'burg to Gaborone (about 270 miles) with about 60 miles of unsealed roads (for fun). Presume the 1,500 mile round trip to Maputo has loosened the engine up so maybe there will be some more improvement in the next few tanks.

Ruaraidh

B-Reg 90 ragtop with its original 2.25 petrol- 22.5mpg on average. I do a 70mile a day commute and so it spends most of its life on the m3 and m25, it'll do 80 at a push but is happier at 70... :ph34r:

however my wallet will only survive if i drive a bit slower :blink: , and so i stick to 60 and only use warp speed for overtaking. Recently i have been driving at 58ish, and even that makes a difference!

Tyres are BFG AT's. No power steering, and have a kenlowe fitted.

LPG kit ordered and on its way! 3.5 currently being rebuilt ready to be fitted this summer too :)