Fuel economy

Scotian, you gave me a scare! Being the nerd I am I dashed off and looked up the official Landy 110 2.5Tdi pressures again. They are 28 front (1.93 bar) and 48 rear (3.309 bar) - and they're the same loaded / at speed / whatever.

I know, I know - that seems ridiculously high (on the back). What can I tell you? I ran the back tyres on a lower pressure for a while and my mpg dived.

Maybe I'm doing my sums wrong? Here's how I work it out. I just filled up today (74.5 litres) after 524 miles (on the Defender clock), which means I used 16.39 gallons (74.5 litres divided by 4.546) , giving an mpg of 31.97.

Of course everything's gone to pot now as I've bought a 1991 J plate 110 CSW 200Tdi with big fat tyres. I filled it up t'other day and discovered the seams on the tank leak like nobody's business. I'm hoping that's the reason I only got 430-ish miles on the tank. It's going in for a plastic tank on Wednesday.

...anyone interested in my 200Tdi hard top at £2,000? :rolleyes:

You're correct in your sums but I though it was supposed to be 40 on the back. I've always had 28 on the front.

hi GBMUD,

I have a 110 td5 XS and I used to get 31ish on a run, however I have just upgraded the gears in the transfer

box to the discovery gear ratios (see ashcrofts web site) and I'm hoping to get 35+. So far I have done 200 miles from a full tank and it's just under the 3/4 mark.. l'll update the post when I've run the whole tank.

Steve, Devizes, Wiltshire

Hi Steve, i would be interested to know how you get on with these. i looked at going this route but decided on an overdrive in the end as towing alot in Hilly Devon i didnt think the 1.2 gears would be upto it as well as the def ones.

Do you tow much with yours or mainly A road cruising?

hi James

Funny, I was really interested in the GKN's but there's lots of -ve feedback re their reliability when towing.. I tow a 2 tonne trailer 2-3 times a month and when fully laden, and there is an incline, I start in low ratio, then "slide" into high ratio when rolling, day-to-day its just got much longer legs, even my wife noticed! However, the main difference is the noise reduction, is that the same for the GKN?

cheers

Steve