Building a off road Defender

Hi all, ive just bought a defender on a galv chassis, 300tdi, 2inch lift kit, snorkel etc but its only a lift kit, im after some serious axle twist, im going to ditch the lift kit and buy new stuff

Ive got a couple of grand saved to put into the landy, where would my cash be best spent?

I know i cant afford a scorpion racing extreme kit etc but i am after:

2inch lowered front turrets

2inch sliding rear shocker mounting

extended brake hoses

already got the dislocation cones

do the caster correct arms help?

need some cranked trailing arms and

some +2inch shock absorbers

does that sound about right? and wheres the best/cheapest place for all this?

Im new to land rovers and want to build a decent tool just as the one in last months LRO

It will be my everyday motor

Thanks

Chris,

Have a look at SimonR's site here, very good articulating kit at reasonable prices.

Castor correction arms will return the castor angle to standard after fitting a suspension lift allowing the steering to self centre again.

What you do go for depends entirely on what you are going to use your 90 for. Are going to be doing winch challenges or are you just looking at green laning and play days ?

Oh and don't mention the Scorpion word on here. Theirs is only an expensive copy of someone else's work.

Mo

going with 2" lowered shock mounts you are going about it the wrong way as you are decreasing 'bump' travel. In my opinion the gwyn lewis or llama kit is the best bolt on you can buy. i would go for standard springs as these will work well and not affect castor ect so save you about £500 as you dont need castor arms-£200 and then a DC prop as you have found you get vibes-£500. good travel is abou a balence of bump and droop.

Welcome to the forum!

With the info on here you should be able to keep most of your money in the bank (and definitely not in Scrapiron's pockets) and build a very capable truck.

First off, I'd say you need to be careful mentioning The Company With The Red Lobster as they have a (deservedly) bad rep round here <_< you should probably take what you read in LRO with a pinch of salt too - they are more of an advertising catalogue these days than a magazine :rolleyes: and most "features" are designed to make you think you need to buy expensive things from their advertisers :angry:

Until an adult arrives (I'm no expert on coils) let's go through your shopping list:

I know i cant afford a scorpion racing extreme kit

Good - you've saved yourself from eternal damnation :D

2inch lowered front turrets

Woah there - lowered gives lift but no extra travel, for travel you need taller shock mounts to accommodate longer shocks. (Longer = more travel, see?)

2inch sliding rear shocker mounting

What's that then? :unsure:

extended brake hoses

Yep - talk to David at Llama 4x4, he posts on here and I believe he offers a forum discount. if he doesn't he bl**dy well should :D

do the caster correct arms help?

Only if you are intent on fitting a big lift - but beware, some of the stuff out there is rather poorly made.

need some cranked trailing arms and

You want some of Jez's indestructible ones, they've been proven unbreakable by some of the roughest b*ggers on this forum :lol: and all pennies are to a good cause (namely Jez being able to build something even dafter for next year).

some +2inch shock absorbers

Depends if you're still intent on lowering your turrets or not - lowered turrents plus longer shocks equals bottoming out.

does that sound about right? and wheres the best/cheapest place for all this?

This all depends on your budget really - if you want maximum performance at sensible prices the Land Rover parts bin is your friend - Trev (LR90) has a spring rate calculator on his site which will give you the LR part numbers for suitable springs. Nige (Hybrid_From_Hell) has built an awesome setup on his 90 that flexes more than "extreme" kitted vehicles yet uses mostly "normal" parts and gives NO LIFT.

Im new to land rovers and want to build a decent tool just as the one in last months LRO

A tool in LRO - do you mean Ed Cobley? :ph34r:

Some further reading awaits you in the Technical Archive, check the index but here's a few straight links for you:

Defender Suspension Lifts by Tony

Spring information

Video of Nige testing his suspension setup - you'll have to search / ask about what he did as I don't know where all his posts are.

Oh yes - before we get into building a super-extreme twist-off queen of a 90, what is the rest of the truck setup like? No point having massive articulation if the vehicle can't get 100 yards off-road due to some other reason :rolleyes: you may find you're better off spending your cash elsewhere first.

You really need to speak to the Langmeister - aka Landrover598. His "mountain goat" suspension setup will leave you with plenty of change left in your budget to blow on a decent winch / cage etc and give you more articulation than you'll know what to do with ;)

I'm sure he'll be along in a bit. Like others have said though, you need to decide what you're going to do with the truck before you go buying bits...

Matt

Guest diesel_jim

FWIW, when i built my 90, i imported some superduper US rock crawling stuff, long Rancho shocks and some nice meaty shock mounts from Never summer off road.

they were the dogs danglies, but it was a total pig to drive in a straight line on tarmac. it actually got "tiring", so i sold it (swapped actually) and went back to OME, and been happy ever since!

depends on what you want to do with it really though, it's personal choice.

Right, so i guess my ideas and theorys were all rowlocks then :D

What i should've asked what you were all running...

Im wanting at least a 2inch lift, im running 33x12/50 tyres.

I'll be using it for everything really, but i want it to shine off road.

Currently my spec is:

300tdi, galv chasis, 33.x12.50s, 2inch lift with pro comp shocks, rock/tree sliders, under side protection, diff guards, steering guards, H/D steering rods

I didnt realise scorpion had that bad of a reputation, their kits seam to sereiously twist!

Madness, i really dont want/need that much twist.

In last months or the months before that there was a black 90 and id just want that sort of off road ability, it looks good in the pics, obviously i dunno how it drives...

Any help/tips/links greatly appreciated

my advice echos Mos, in that give Simon at X-Eng a ring. its pointless having extreme travel if there is no weight acting on them. Simons X-Springs help alleviate this no weight/force problem.

OME springs are superb (£££ but good) and would work well with above. i am running d4x4 OME challenge springs on mine and rate them highly. less articulation than the previous pro comps i had fitted but a good 2" lift, soft enough to absorb bumps and retain articulation.

trailing arms, i am running Bearmach blue bushes (for last 24 mths) and std straight trailing arms with 2" lidt no problems to date.

radius arms, if you get castor corrected arms then that will greatly aid self centering BUT it will also lower the diff nos end so you will prob need a double deCarbon prop shaft. i dont know of anyone (waiting to be corrected) using castor corrected arms with std props that doesnt change prop UJ for a past time.

my setup is

OME Challenge +2" springs (D4x4 specially wound)

Procomp +2"

David Llama extend brake pipes

-2" front turrets

std trailing arms

std radius arms

Pics show Pro comps springs fitted, i have lost approx 1" with D4x4 springs on articulation.

If you are after more than that then yes look to increased travel shocks with RAISED spring mounts.

post-53-1186769019_thumb.jpg

post-53-1186769067_thumb.jpg

Right, so i guess my ideas and theorys were all rowlocks then :D

I was going to break it gently - then I thought "Naaah, f*** it" :P

We all have to start somewhere, you're on the right track here and far better than if you carried on believing the comics and the racing lobster ;)

..just from my own experiance you may like to have a look at this..

Springs - New Bearmach Offroad springs, nice 'n' long but soft too..

Shox - Pro comp XLs, (PM me if you want the part number)

Shock mounts - Dont go lower, if anything you want longer to take larger shox with more travel

Brake lines - obviously use longer braided type..

Trailing arms - QT/Kenson HD ones are nice, X-eng ones are nice but my be out of budget in the end arms are much to your own taste..

Radius arms - Honestly.. dont bother if its only a off roader, use standard arms with either standard bushes or the slotted polybushes..

Cones, try and use something like the D44 ones or the QT/gone2far ones, there alot quieter in use as they dont try to twist the spring as it relocates

We entered a truck in the twist offs, just for the hell of it, just on the above springs and shox..

Maria got a RTI of 840, so more than a fair few of expensive kits :D