Info For Newbie

baldmechanic

:) Hi Guys and thank you for letting me into your forums, ok just some info required at the moment, and maybe your input, I am in the process of purchasing a Freelander For the wifey, its a 04 model on a 53 plate, silver in colour and a HSE td4 model, mileage is 81k, so waht i want to know is what problems to look for and what do you think of the price 9k oh and it comes with a 3 months landrover warranty from stratstone, this vehicle is to replace my wifes Citreon picasso which someone thought they it was invisible and they could drive through it :(.

Myself I drive a Toyota amazon lpg model, But before you curse, the vehicles before that was a 1999 p38 autobiography, a 1996 Disco TDi ES, and a good old 1984 rangey actually which i still have and i am currently looking to convert it into a landranger kit.

Over& Out

Baldy

:) Hi Guys and thank you for letting me into your forums, ok just some info required at the moment, and maybe your input, I am in the process of purchasing a Freelander For the wifey, its a 04 model on a 53 plate, silver in colour and a HSE td4 model, mileage is 81k, so waht i want to know is what problems to look for and what do you think of the price 9k oh and it comes with a 3 months landrover warranty from stratstone, this vehicle is to replace my wifes Citreon picasso which someone thought they it was invisible and they could drive through it :( .

Myself I drive a Toyota amazon lpg model, But before you curse, the vehicles before that was a 1999 p38 autobiography, a 1996 Disco TDi ES, and a good old 1984 rangey actually which i still have and i am currently looking to convert it into a landranger kit.

Over& Out

Baldy

I can't comment on the price as I don't know but

fuel pumps can be a waek point,

:angry: Ok guys just an update, purchased this vehicle from Stratstone Mercedes in leeds, Over phone, and as i said comes with thier 3 month warranty, vehicle arrived this morning (delivered by them), found a lot of cosmetic faults(dent in rear door, trims damaged, both wheel arches inners dented and chipped, chipped windscreen,) so haggeld with salesman over phone and he said use car for 1 week and they will pick up car and do all faults, but now driven car and found a large oil leak, no handbrake, a lot of vibration on gearstick and banging noise from underneath when slowing down, and as i said the vibration is pretty bad. So any comments would be appreciated, not gonna use car now due to bad oil leak. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: this cant be the norm from stratstone can it

Not sure on this age of vehicle, but the visous couplings can seize up causing premature tyre wear and eventually failure of the IRD on the gearbox.

Seem to remember that the bushes on the anti roll bars wear as well, perhaps that is the banging?

Delivering car with an oil leak and no hanbrake is unforgivable

:unsure: ok just jacked up car (with big bricks under back wheels :) ) and the shaft that travels into the front drive unit has about 1.5 inches of play (yep 1.5inches) it is like a sealed universal joint going into a housing (final drive unit?) well the play is on the bearing inside there, and the oil is leaking from between the engine and gearbox, also noticed all new rear diff mounting brackets fitted. Dealer rang back and offered me a £1000 discount, but i refused that, and now they have booked vehicle into stratstone cardiff Tomorrow for checking, and they also tried to blame me for chip in window :(.

Play havoc with them, that isnt acceptable. Stratstones is part of the pedragon motor group, and they have very little respect for employees and sometimes it seems, customers. They should of checked the car over before they sold it to you. Do not let them win, i'm sure you won't but they'll probably try to get out of anything.

:unsure: ok just jacked up car (with big bricks under back wheels :) ) and the shaft that travels into the front drive unit has about 1.5 inches of play (yep 1.5inches) it is like a sealed universal joint going into a housing (final drive unit?) well the play is on the bearing inside there, and the oil is leaking from between the engine and gearbox, also noticed all new rear diff mounting brackets fitted. Dealer rang back and offered me a £1000 discount, but i refused that, and now they have booked vehicle into stratstone cardiff Tomorrow for checking, and they also tried to blame me for chip in window :(.

Best of luck with it and with Stratstone - as was said higher up - it's unforgivable that they should deliver a vehicle in that condition. I think that (if possible) I would be looking for them to take the vehicle back - after all - will you trust them to make the repairs to a decent quality?

TwoSheds

thanks for all your comments and help guys, ok taking car to stratstone Cardiff today which is about 15 miles away, but not sure if i will make it, making a lot of noise underneath, but Stratstone Leeds said it was ok as thay drove the car from leeds to my home with no problems, so gonna set off now 7.40am to get 15 miles by 9.30 am, really peed off now, paid 9.5k for a vehicle and the extra for the tax, and it comes down to this, if it was an auction buy and i paid trade then i would accept it, but from a stratstone company, it's just not on, i will let you know how i got on later.

baldy

HI guys, this is the update of the situation, stratstone cardiff looked at the car and told me the IRD unit had gone (which you already told me :)), so they contacted stratstone leeds who gave the go ahead on the work and any other work it needed up to the price of £1500 max, we have held £1000 from the sale, to which they are not happy at all!!!, the reason being is that we were told the car was mint, BUT IT WAS NOT!!! and we have told stratsone leeds that we want £500 or £1000 reduced from the price plus a 1year startstone full warranty as a gesture of good will, if the car comes back from cardiff in an acceptable condition that we are agreed on. so what do you think of that or do you think we should tell them to stuff it and get our money back?, but bearing in mind there are no 53 plate TD4 HSE's out there for £9.5k??

Baldy

also wondering if they will change the viscous unit?????

Not sure about the price.

My old (?) 55 plate SE was on sale for £13K in the main stealer.

Tempted to say stuff them and get your money back, but if you can get the additional money out of them it may well be worth it.

The main expenses are the IRD and viscous coupling. If they are changing the IRD they need to check the viscous coupling as a failure of this often damages the IRD. Get the rear diff checked as well at the same time. It is all due to strain on the transmission. Are the tyres ok?

If they do all this work, you damn near have new running gear, so it is probably worth it. I guess the question then is " do you trust it?"

HTH

Thanks Roverdrive, yeah i see where your coming from, well i do not trust Statstone leeds thats for sure, but i do trust cardiff stratstone but will cardiff check these items for me?, i will ask tomorrow, as them both being Stratstones, will the cradiff only do the jobs that leeds have told them to?. i will have to w8 and see until i get it back, if i accept it that is :)

Baldy

will keep you all posted, and ty again for your comments

Hi guys just an update on this problem i have, Ok Stratstone leeds Telephoned today to say thet they have spoken to Cardiff on friday and the freelander will be ready on thursday this week, but :angry: the manager said that unless i pay the £1k on thursday then the vehicle will not be released to me (i kept £1k back unitl i was happy with the vehicle and the repairs that has been done). so i asked him if i was happy with the vehicle then what sort of goodwill gesture would i get? and he replied that he would have to think on that one, also if i cancel the vehicle then he told me i would lose the tax money and would have to contact the DVLa to ask them to remove my wife as the owner, as we did not want the vehicle. so he was making it out to be my fault, but going to w8 until thursday to see what happens and see what cardiff have done.

over and out

Baldy

PS Price for vehicle was £9500

road tax £112

paid £5112 in cash

finance £3500

kept £1000 back

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
:blink: Well still w8ting for car to come back from Cardiff :( they say they are having probs, what i am worried about is are they trying to repair ird or are they fitting a S/H unit?.

baldy over and out

I would say taht the vehicle was not fit for purpose therefore you are entitled for a full refund. The Road Tax issue is not strictly correct I would have thought you would only be liable for the Road Tax that you used i.e. the Road Tax for the duration you had the vehicle therefore if you had the car for 1 month then the amount owed would be 1/6th of £112.50 Check with trading standards. We had a similar problem with a 53 plate ES from our main stealer with 24k on the clock needed a new engine. At the time when they sorted it it was not worth our while getting our money back but we traded it in 3 months later against a New HSE and got all our money back.

I bought a Rangie from a Pendragon garage (Wooburn Green). Was told mint and would be serviced blahdy blah blah.

Anyway when I checked it over, it had spiders in the air filter, dirty oil and severely corroded brake pipes. Took it for an MOT and it was deemed unroadworthy!!

I had a nightmare with them trying to get any response and long story short eventually got them to collect it. But like you I did not get all of my money back.

So FWIW, if you have any niggling doubt about it, just return it for a refund. Their Head Office will not help (even if you can get a response from them!). You can spend ages in small claims, trading standards etc., but life is too short.

Good luck.