Diff Sealant

smo

my personal preference is for one of Loctite's excellent flange sealants, 518 for rigid assemblies, (used on my Rock Crusher diff cover and stub axles) or their RTV Silicon type Blue Max if the surface isn't true

My personal preference is for a tube of B&Q's finest silicone sealant. Don't bother with the paper gasket, just clean the sealing faces with a knife, then apply a nice thick bead to the casing. Of all the parts of my landy that leak oil, around the diff has never been one of them.

as i ought to put new ones on :)

Ok, If you are thinking about putting new nuts on, even though you haven't had to cut the old ones off, we are obviously talking a different language about Land Rovers. In that case, you had probably get one of those nice Land Rover paper gaskets, and smear it with proper jointing compound.

Ok, If you are thinking about putting new nuts on, even though you haven't had to cut the old ones off, we are obviously talking a different language about Land Rovers. In that case, you had probably get one of those nice Land Rover paper gaskets, and smear it with proper jointing compound.

LOL - not really but i dont see the point in using old carp on somthing so important when new nuts are pence each!

Grease and gasket for me

What utter, utter rubbish - you are the one who taught me to use silo, and are the only person I know who bodges things more than me. For about 3 years, instead of buying 4 self tapping screws to hold your Landy stereo in, you used a bit of stick - wedged between the bottom of the stereo and the seat box...

For about 3 years, instead of buying 4 self tapping screws to hold your Landy stereo in, you used a bit of stick - wedged between the bottom of the stereo and the seat box...

outstanding bodge job TB :hysterical: I'm suitable impressed :D lazy blighter :rolleyes:

I've used both RTV and the propper paper gaskets. RTV never leaks even if you're sloppy preparing the surfaces. Gaskets work as long as you grease and ensure the surfaces are clean. As Adrian said, the latter allows for easier removal / field repairs and that's how my diffs are at the moment.

Oh, and slightly OT. A chap I know was pulling a diff yesterday, slipped, tried to catch the diff and caught the mouting face (which was sharp) and ended up with an inch long cut at the base of his thumb that was down to the bone. On that note, enjoy Sunday Lunch :ph34r: