door handle query

I picked up 2 2006 TD5 take off doors today, obviously I don't have keys for the door locks and have heard new lock barrels are really expensive?. I wondered if it was possible to fit the older pushbutton door handles where you can pick up lock barrels cheap as chips for/?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

can't see why the earlier pre-td5 push button handles/locks won't fit, doubt the actual attachment to the door is different.

cheers Ralph, thats what I thought, attachement the same just the lock internals different. hence different part numbersfor later handles.

Cheers

Matt

cheers Ralph, thats what I thought, attachement the same just the lock internals different. hence different part numbersfor later handles.

Cheers

Matt

I've recently done the same, and can confirm that the earlier handles do indeed fit. The later lock barrels are more expensive as they use the same key as the ignition (i.e. longer key) instead of the usual short key.

However, it is possible to use the barrel extender and circlips/screw from the earlier handles in the new ones if you want to have niced unfaded plastic handles on your new doors (as I found out after doing mine).

Dave

I've recently done the same, and can confirm that the earlier handles do indeed fit. The later lock barrels are more expensive as they use the same key as the ignition (i.e. longer key) instead of the usual short key.

However, it is possible to use the barrel extender and circlips/screw from the earlier handles in the new ones if you want to have niced unfaded plastic handles on your new doors (as I found out after doing mine).

Dave

Dave thanks for the info I ordered a new barrel set and two shiny new handles last night the whole lot was cheaper than two TD5 lock barrels! So nice shiny handles will still be on nice shiny doors!

are these for the 130 or another vehicle & why the change ?

yep for the 130, changing them cos the original doors are seriously rotted away and all the frames are cracked up, beyond restoration. only reason i'm fitting td5 is because i found some n the right colour and complete so haven't got to swap everything over.

cheers

matt