How bad is your rear cross member?

Genuine question on how bad my rear cross member is? See picture for details of O/S cross member and N/S chassis looks like it has hit something in the past. Outside of cross member is fine - just really the inside end bits.

post-4323-1186933836_thumb.jpg

The holes below are close to where the "angle bar" goes to the back of the towing bracket. No doubt there are some MOT stringencies around this bit?

post-4323-1186933852_thumb.jpg

How many hours of professional welding would be required?

How bad are yours?

TIA, Jon

Jon,

I think the wisest course of action would be to replace the rear cross member with a replacement item with extensions, it'll be easier and therefore cheaper.

Yours is throughly rotten and if the inner plate at each end is gone then theres not much thickness left in the rear face of the cross member either.

HTH

Mo

Rear crossmember - the corroded plate doesn't go all the way to the chassis rail, so not as much as you might think is missing. However - making the right shape plate to go in place of the original one would take some time to make, but a flat plate on the outside (inner lip) would be ok and restore almost the same type of strength to that end of it. The corrosion in the chassis lower rail is very confined and therefore quite easy to repair. This is all from an MOT pass perspective, but if you use your truck for off-road work/recovery/towing, then a new crossmember would be the better solution. 2-3 hours to repair it, a whole day to replace the crossmember.

Les.

Rear crossmember - the corroded plate doesn't go all the way to the chassis rail, so not as much as you might think is missing. However - making the right shape plate to go in place of the original one would take some time to make, but a flat plate on the outside (inner lip) would be ok and restore almost the same type of strength to that end of it. The corrosion in the chassis lower rail is very confined and therefore quite easy to repair. This is all from an MOT pass perspective, but if you use your truck for off-road work/recovery/towing, then a new crossmember would be the better solution. 2-3 hours to repair it, a whole day to replace the crossmember.

Les.

Whats the story on replacement rear cross members?

What sort of price are they and can you recommend a manufacturer / supplier. Guess like alot of pattern parts they come in all shapes and sizes and not necessarily the correct shape or size!

Jon

The quality of rear crossmembers are varied - depending on where you get one from. Paddocks seem quite popular. Your old one is cut off approximately 9-inches frome the rear across the chassis rails and the new one slots over the cut ends, bolted to the bottom of the rear tub by the door/tailgate and then the new crossmember is seam welded in place.

It's worth mentioning that the rust in your chassis rail looks like it came from the inside out, so expect more to appear in the future.

A new rear crossmember with extensions is around £120.

post-2-1186966674_thumb.jpg

It's a good idea to use a spreader plate either side of the crossmember to reinforce your recovery point.

Les.

Your cross member looks to be worse than mine when I 1st got my 90

I did patch mine myself - its a dirty horrible job and worked out alot more work than expected

Its been through a couple of mots since - no probs

As metioned above it tends to rust from inside out and is far worse than it looks

Knowing what I know now - replace the crossmember you will save in the long run

Just my 2 pennyworth - based on my experances

Steve

Looks like the chassis rail has been damaged by a jack or something. I opened up the holes a bit to see where I hit metal! The rest of the chassis rails look ok.

Will take consideration on the rear cross member.

Out of interest how much does a cross member usually cost / hours to be replaced by someone who knows what they are doing?

Jon

I had mine done at AJS in Surrey. I think it was about £600 including the parts. The labour was the expensive bit as they had to cut the old bolts with a plasma cutter............... i wasn't popular LOL

Glad I had it done though...........

My X-Member was a LOT worse than I thought it was initialy!!!....The general condition of the truck was not too bad but the previous owner had used it for towing and launching a boat....it showed.....there was a tide-mark where the sea water had got up to!

I used to do a fair bit of welding with my 120a Clarke welder on my classic cars but it was a bit too light. I contemplated getting someone to do it for me but decided to buy myself a new welder (165a Clark pro). It is an excellent bit of kit. I use Argo-shield and this combined with the higher capacity makes an excellent job. This worked out more economical than getting someone to do it for me as I got a new welder out of it (the last one lasted me 22years!).

The X-Member was from Paddocks - it was a reasonable fit. I did get it hot dipped galvanised - so no rust problems for a while I hope as I intend to keep the truck for a good long time.

post-2179-1188118573_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
My X-Member was a LOT worse than I thought it was initialy!!!....The general condition of the truck was not too bad but the previous owner had used it for towing and launching a boat....it showed.....there was a tide-mark where the sea water had got up to!

I used to do a fair bit of welding with my 120a Clarke welder on my classic cars but it was a bit too light. I contemplated getting someone to do it for me but decided to buy myself a new welder (165a Clark pro). It is an excellent bit of kit. I use Argo-shield and this combined with the higher capacity makes an excellent job. This worked out more economical than getting someone to do it for me as I got a new welder out of it (the last one lasted me 22years!).

The X-Member was from Paddocks - it was a reasonable fit. I did get it hot dipped galvanised - so no rust problems for a while I hope as I intend to keep the truck for a good long time.

post-2179-1188118573_thumb.jpg

I need to replace my rear cross member and I quite like the idea of having it galvanised.

Can you tell me where you got yours done or whether anyone knows where I can get it done in Buckinghamshire?

Thanks

Steve