*@%*&^%$ sunroof!

I have a 90H 110 CSW and that means the dreaded sunroof leaks. I've replaced the body to sunroof frame seal (and added mastic) and replaced the frame to glass seal (bedding it into a bead of mastic in the frame). That has stopped the seeping leaks but I still have the steady leaks from the front corners (when left standing in the rain) and a spray leak from between the glass and the rubber seal at the front (between the sunroof hinges, but only at speeds above 50mph).

Both leaks are definitely caused by the sunroof glass not bedding firmly into the rubber seal. (I sat on the roof in a very heavy shower of rain yesterday watching where the rain seeped in! :rolleyes: )

Has anyone ever managed to get the sunroof glass to bed firmly into the rubber seal? And if so how?

Or is there another solution apart from replacing the roof with one that doesn't have a sunroof. I was thinking of running a strip of self-adhesive rubber strip around the underside of the outside edge of the glass to see if that would do the trick.

Oh, and after several years of wearing waterproofs inside the Defender, I've decided this really has to be sorted! :D

Any suggestions appreciated.

I have a 90H 110 CSW and that means the dreaded sunroof leaks. I've replaced the body to sunroof frame seal (and added mastic) and replaced the frame to glass seal (bedding it into a bead of mastic in the frame). That has stopped the seeping leaks but I still have the steady leaks from the front corners (when left standing in the rain) and a spray leak from between the glass and the rubber seal at the front (between the sunroof hinges, but only at speeds above 50mph).

Both leaks are definitely caused by the sunroof glass not bedding firmly into the rubber seal. (I sat on the roof in a very heavy shower of rain yesterday watching where the rain seeped in! :rolleyes: )

Has anyone ever managed to get the sunroof glass to bed firmly into the rubber seal? And if so how?

Or is there another solution apart from replacing the roof with one that doesn't have a sunroof. I was thinking of running a strip of self-adhesive rubber strip around the underside of the outside edge of the glass to see if that would do the trick.

Oh, and after several years of wearing waterproofs inside the Defender, I've decided this really has to be sorted! :D

Any suggestions appreciated.

remove said sunroof store in green plastic bin for collection by local council

buy alloy plate cut to overlap size of said hole left in roof then rivet and seal in place end of rain leak

buy some colour matched roof lining. mount to cover hole inside

paint roof white

D3 sunroofs leak D2 sunroofs Leak range rovers sunroofs leak

they just leak and with the body movment on defenders you have no hope

or you could just seal it up total with sikflex mastic never to be opened again

dan

buy alloy plate cut to overlap size of said hole left in roof then rivet and seal in place end of rain leak

paint roof white...

...or you could just seal it up total with sikflex mastic never to be opened again

dan

I really should have swapped the roofs over when I sold the 110 hardtop!

I like the sunroof for two reasons. First, it's very good for venting the car on a hot, sunny day (but I live in NE Scotland and I can only remember four or five of those in the past three years). Second, I like being able to park up in the fields, lift the glass out and then stick my head and shoulders out for a spot of bunny shooting.

But you're right, I think it's going to be a bin job and replacement with either a panel as you've described or a roof from a scrapper. Thanks.

Every Landy I have had has leaked..............

Its not a landy is it doesn't leak.

My 110 hardtop didn't leak. But as I'd have had to get shot of at least two out of the wife and two sons to keep it, it had to go.

The ex-army IIA didn't leak but that's because it had nothing to leak...

The wife's Disco TD5 did leak - constantly and from just about every window and door seal as well as the sunroof. Her Disco 300 TDi did start leaking around the right rear window but as the seal had perished after 12 years or so that wasn't surprising.

But I'm getting a bit sick of it with the CSW. It's one thing to be wearing waterproofs while you're jumping in and out to do jobs in the fields, but it's another to have to put them on every time I go out in the Defender. On top of that, being a CSW it means stinking wet carpets, stinking wet seat cloth seats and heavy condensation when the car is warmer inside that it is outside. Oh, and I mustn't forget the icicles hanging off the sunroof in winter...

No, it has to be sorted.

Have you tried rubbing silicone grease or similar on the seal and glass where they make contact?

Siliconed mine up 3 years ago. Just started leaking this weekend in a torrential downpour.

Out with the silicone gun again methinks.

Siliconed mine up 3 years ago. Just started leaking this weekend in a torrential downpour.

Out with the silicone gun again methinks.

I checked and reseated all the seals on my 110 CSW '98. The only thing I seem to have done that you have'nt is apply some vasolen around the seal to glass part outside. Not had a leak since.

paint roof white

D3 sunroofs leak D2 sunroofs Leak range rovers sunroofs leak

they just leak and with the body movment on defenders you have no hope

or you could just seal it up total with sikflex mastic never to be opened again

dan

this is sage advice ;) for anyone living north of the border where the rain is like a powerwasher :angry: every vehicle i've had here has pished in water from the sunroof :angry:

i will NEVER buy another vehicle that has one unless i move to east anglia (which is unlikely)

goodluck stoney :rolleyes: , regards, paul

I did the silicon sealant on mine.. Closed up tight and sealed... Problem has gone away.

For ventilation I use the very modern wind up/down window (Also kow as the elbow stopper thingy) most of the time as well as the front vents....

Better than Air-con on most days !

seriously guys, suffolk, herts, cornwall :rolleyes: you get about 30" of rain a year we get that in a month (usually sideways at 60mph) sunroofs should be banned at this lattitude :D

Hmmmm. Rather than banning perhaps folks up there should avoid choosing vehicles with sunroofs then ;)

seriously guys, suffolk, herts, cornwall :rolleyes: you get about 30" of rain a year we get that in a month (usually sideways at 60mph) sunroofs should be banned at this lattitude :D

Funny how you keep popping up!! You aren't one of those men in black are you...

I'm with you on the rain. We get gales where the rain can be driven horizontally over the hill at 60-70mph (yes, windspeed verified by folks down the road putting in a wind turbine). It makes working outside "interesting".

I've Vaselined the seal as a temporary measure and it has stopped the central, high-speed spray leak. So I can go above 50mph without feeling like I'm in a mobile shower.

But the corners are still leaking, if slower. Looks like an alloy panel over the hole or a roof from a scrapper.

Thanks for all the advice.

Get a motorbike - it doesn't look so daft when you're dressed for the elements!

Funny you should say that. I don't have a motorbike, but I do cycle year round in rain, sleet, snow and strong winds. I know the wind's too strong when I find myself going backwards despite peddling hard...

I may have a solution, thanks to a local farmer. He had a similar problem with the sunroof on the cab of his tractor. He fitted a length of self-gripping, rubber hatch edge trim around the glass, then bonded the join with waterproof contact adhesive. It takes a bit of effort to pull it shut, but it makes for a very firm seal all round.

He go the edge trim and adhesive from http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shoppin...tDepartmentId=3. The trim he used is ET57, but another possibility might be ETS58.

I'll have to go and measure the glass thickness on the Defender's sunroof now.