Clucking sound when turning sharply (Driverside Front)

Aldri Tdi

Hi All

I have recently experienced a metal grinding sound when turning coming from the front drivers side wheel (swivel ball)

I took off the wheel and the track rod...no problems with the latter...The grinding noise however comes from the drivers side swivelball if I turn sharply..it sounds like metal grinding (Cluck CLuck noise)..With the wheel off, and taking the disks on a 9 to 3 o'clock grip and moving it in a left and right steer position the grind continues...

I inspected the oil level in the swivel ball...and found just a minuscule amount of grease so my guess is that a swivel ball bearing seased...or it could be a CV joint that went?

Could an expert please assist me?

thanks a million in advance

A

If the grease/oil in the swivel housing is low then it could affect the top swivel bearing and/or the CV joint. The only way you are going to know for sure is to strip it down and take a look. Swivel pin bearing wear is identified by pushing/pulling the wheel in the 12 and 6 o-clock positions.

What vehicle/axle have you got?

Les.