Steering Guards - and other underbody protection

Gents ad Ladies,

Went off roading for the first time on Sunday, had an awesome time but need to sort my vehicle out so i can attempt some more challenging things. Firstly i am looking at a steering guard. What is best steel or aluminium i am guessing aluminium because its lightweight and stong (around 8mm). Secondly do i go for 1 piece or 3 piece perforated or solid?? and also where do i get them from? i know everyone does them but what company do you use/ has a good name for reliability etc.

Secondly is it worth buying a sump guard aswell and?? i am getting diff guards front and rear and rock sliders then working my way up to snorkel and lights!!!

What other neccesities should i have??

Many thanks

From personal experience I would go for a 3 piece steel steering guard of good quality, something like the Southdown one. [url="http://www.southdown4x4.co.uk/SteeringGuards.htm"/url]

For diff guards I would recommend the half-moon ones simpy because you will not lose any diff clearance (and it will make a huge difference on the limit)

I've got a Rebel 4x4 alloy steering guard which to be honest will take most knocks even if it isn't the same shape afterwards :ph34r: a half moon diff guard which I have had for ever and now a Southdown towing/tank guard on the back. That's my underneath finished, ain't going to bother with a rear diff guard as I don't often reverse into rocks at high speed (famous last words...)

I've got a Rebel 4x4 alloy steering guard which to be honest will take most knocks even if it isn't the same shape afterwards :ph34r: a half moon diff guard which I have had for ever and now a Southdown towing/tank guard on the back. That's my underneath finished, ain't going to bother with a rear diff guard as I don't often reverse into rocks at high speed (famous last words...)

I too would advise getting a 3-piece steering guard (in fact I've just ordered a new one from Southdown) because if you need to get at the steering components behind it's easier to remove just the blade rather than have to take off the whole guard.

Phil.

My dad just got a cheapy 3-piece steel steering guard and some half moon diff guards, perfectly adequate. Looking where you're going helps too :rolleyes:

Aluminium is bling but it's also expensive, weaker, and is more of a pain if you bend it. You can beat a steel one straight and weld a bit of bar to the back to stop it bending again.

My dad just got a cheapy 3-piece steel steering guard and some half moon diff guards, perfectly adequate. Looking where you're going helps too :rolleyes:

Aluminium is bling but it's also expensive, weaker, and is more of a pain if you bend it. You can beat a steel one straight and weld a bit of bar to the back to stop it bending again.

I quite agree that looking where you're going is the best protection; unfortunately sometimes you don't end up where you intended!

Phil.

I guess if you can see it then you can avoid it as others have said its the hidden bits that scare me. I went out to a P&P sunday and ploughed into a mud bank luckily it was all mud, cracked my number plate mind, just glad it wasnt the steering setup.

It depends on the Aluminium. You've not tried cutting 20 gauge LM82 with a pair of tin snips have you :rolleyes:

mike

Mine is made from 6mm Stellite plate ………………… borrowed from a gas turbine ……….. that wont break or bend in a hurry ………. :rolleyes:

Si, …………. Drop into OEC and have a word with Anton ……………… he keeps a few in stock ;)

:)

Ian

I am not a fan of the half moon diff guards, they dotn really protect it from much in my opinion. If something hits it hard its still only attached to the axle/diff housing so will more than likely still get busted. I have a southdown front axle/diff gaurd, i do loose some ground clearance but i make it up with the tyres but i have had some bloody hard hits and it just takes it with a smile (drawn on).

Other than that i agree with 3 piece steering gaurd but it all depends upon budget and what sort of driving you do.

I am not a fan of the half moon diff guards, they dotn really protect it from much in my opinion. If something hits it hard its still only attached to the axle/diff housing so will more than likely still get busted. I have a southdown front axle/diff gaurd, i do loose some ground clearance but i make it up with the tyres but i have had some bloody hard hits and it just takes it with a smile (drawn on).

Other than that i agree with 3 piece steering gaurd but it all depends upon budget and what sort of driving you do.

My guard has some pretty damn deep scars in it and I have yet to bust a diff pan! Technically it is a weakness, in practice apparently not, though I suppose it depends on how careless your driving is. I drive so as to not smack expensive metal bits on solid rocks, and fit a diff guard in case I make a mistake, I don't fit a diff guard to be able to bounce off large rocks regularly with impunity. So I suppose it depends on what you are looking for.