Why BishBosh has the best 4x4xfar

MogLite

I've not done much 4x4 driving of late, the reasons have been building MogLite, family and work commitments etc etc.

It was brought home to me this morning, when I was sorting through some digital pics on my laptop.

From about 2000-2005 I was out at least once a month, first in the Camel Disco, and then in the Ibex.

But I've noticed as the vehicles I own get more and more capable - the less and less I use them :(

I've completely lost the competition bug, but damn it was nice to mess about at a site day, or bimble around on a green-lane.

Got me thinking about how to re-live those "glory years". My Ibex is a non starter, as I need to be able to take my kids out too. My Isuzu is way too straight to be bouncing off of trees.

I came to the conclusion that the BishTail is about the right comprimise between cost, performance and usability :D

• Comfortable four seater
  • Reasonable suspension and grip
  • Simple, easily repaired and economical
  • Quite nimble and light
  • Simple winch setup.

I'm currently thinking with a pair of LandCruiser/Patrol axles on it - it'd be a real good weekend warrior capable of 90% of what a site day has to throw at it, and yet remain fun and a challenge to drive well.

Maybe a Bobtail will replace some of my fleet sometime ;) anyone wanna part-ex one for an Ibex....

Aww Andy you are too kind :wub::wub:

Couple of corrections though - Only a 2 seater (by design) but could easlily be 4 if the fuel tank was designed slightly differently.

Wouldn't call it light - 2.2te at the weighbridge at "competion" :hysterical: spec.

Have to agree that wafting along (if one can waft with a diseasel :unsure: ) in a leather armchair always brings a smile to my face. Was certainly more pampered than the 90 boys on the Pyrenees trip!

Of course you are aware that the leather is wipe clean aren't you Andy.... :ph34r:

Oh, and if you fancy a swap........... I am sure Moglite would fit in my garage..... :lol:

mmm Andy i am going though the same thing.

I have the 90 which is too tarty to do too much in and the disco which is the famly car, and what sues uses to leave at the train station

And i am sat looking out of my lounge window at the sand dunes of Straddy Island and i have not been there yet, Although going next week when jules gets here . Also Going to Fraser Island with the disco and the defender with him too. (Simular as 4 years ago Hey Andy :) )

But i am looking at a Rangie and putting toy axels on it . But the V8 is the bit that puts me off as fuel is nearly A$ 1.10 (45p) a Ltr. And they did not do diesel rangies. Although i could get a disco. So i am thinking along the same lines as you.

I need to get out to land cruser park in somthing i can damage with out too much worry. You know what that place is like Andy

Why does it need to be modified?

What would be wrong with a standard 110 with mud tyres?

Everything must be modified :D

I couldn't live with a 110, seating + driving position are all wrong for me.

There is also the cost - a decent (ie TDI) 110 costs the earth and I'd never want to take it into the trees.

Besides - no wipe clean leather in a 110 :moglite:

Sounds like you need to go back to basics, with a cheap truck and a set of muds, and little else.

That way its not 'over specced' but if you beat it into a tree you wont worry.

Might make you 'enjoy' the driving cos you will have to plan and plot what you do.

Have a word with Nay at the next committee meet, she got offered a Rangey for £650 on sunday, with T&T etc.

mmm Andy i am going though the same thing.

But i am looking at a Rangie and putting toy axels on it . But the V8 is the bit that puts me off as fuel is nearly A$ 1.10 (45p) a Ltr. And they did not do diesel rangies.

The goverment introduced a $2000 rebate scheme for anyone converting to LP gas. A carbed Rangey would probably cost less than that to convert. I was under the impression it was an Australia wide scheme no ? if I had space for the gas cylinder it would definately be on Lp gas now.

Bill.

Back to Moglites, 'problem'....(the 4x4 one!), it seems like you need to decide what the aim of this new 4x4 is?

Surely if you start to modify 'it' you will create the same problem you are trying to solve? Generating a new spark for mud plugging?

I assume, by what you have not said, you want to take the kids out to play days and let them experience the fun of getting stuck and not knowing if you can make it past every obstacle?

I assume, by what you have not said, you want to take the kids out to play days and let them experience the fun of getting stuck and not knowing if you can make it past every obstacle?

I must admit that I can identify with that line of thinking . Lately I've been getting as big a kick out of persuading the family Isuzu Trooper to go places and attempt things that the designers never intended as I do in taking my far more capable LandRover to its limits.

I have a De Ja Vu feeling that I just repeated something I posted a few moths ago! :unsure:

Bill.

Andy - I think I'm in a kinda-similar situation as you are with MogLite, having built it and taken it out there's lots of fiddly little things to finish off to make it actually ready to go playing. It's difficult to get the enthusiasm for more spannering after a big build, all I can offer is that you need a bit of willpower to get up and do those last few jobs and then go and play. Perhaps set yourself the target of having it properly rocking in time for 7S? That's what I'm aiming for.

I tried to ration myself on tagging along to play days during the build, which has made me want to get out there even more. I also had to ban myself from fiddling with the RR to go playing in that, otherwise it'd end up as a play-day/marshaling hack and not the quiet comfortable secondary transport it's supposed to be.

As Paul says, if you buy another one that will just be a money/time pit, and certainly given the number of vehicles you have in your garden I would sell a few before buying any more! Get out there with MogLite and make the kids take turns :P . What's wrong with the BigHorn as a more gentle play day tool? If you want challenge, navigating that about the place with minimal stickage/damage has got to be a bit more of a test than a bobbed RR on knobblies with lockers? That's back into challenge truck territory, and at that point it will be more attractive/comfortable to enter a challenge in that than MogLite, which then means MogLite is redundant :(

I know what you mean there. I had the winch challenge 90 but bought a disco with BFG AT on and i went playing on a club site day with it. Had the best fun i have had in ages. As i had to work the truck to get it places . Great fun.

I have to agree with moglite, and its exactly where I am and will probably stay.

My vehicles are simple, easy to maintain and never miss a "scheduled" play day or trial.

I know that your avergae Land Rover component is lack lustre at best, but I like to keep things reasonably standard, allowing high availability of parts, from scrappers to new parts from dealers and everything inbetween.

Ive modified to my budget, trying to keep on top of the drive train components, but other than that, standard.

I know what you mean about having a back to basics off roader that can actually seat more than 2 people.

I've recently spent far too many hours building vehicles destined only for competition use. I got a little fed up and decided to have a go at putting the Bobtail back on the road.

I swapped it ages ago for an old project car that I had owned for about 12 years, so it owes me next to nothing.

I got it sorted and MOT'd and took it out for a play this weekend...Yes it got stuck and needed winching on sections that we can usually drive, but it was great fun. ;) As it was a 4 seater (with wipe clean leather :huh: ) I had friends jumping in and out of the back for passenger rides, when usually they would have just spectated.

I ended up mullering the N/S Front wing, both N/S Doors, the C post and broke the windsecreen. But to fix it will only be a couple of hours work. I have a complete car for spares that only cost a couple of hundred quid so it will be a cheap fix. :)

Paul. ;)

post-1435-1187089929_thumb.jpg

Back to basics?

What about a series?

Did this a few years ago. Bought a S11a Trialler off a mate for 200 notes, got an MOT on it and went back to my roots. You would not believe what fun it is but by god it's hard work. I was kn&ckered at the end of the day and it tok a week to recover.

The two best off roaders - for fun - I have seen in a long while were Chris Daniels Maharindra (Rangey axles, coils, 235's, 2.25 petrol, roll hoop) and Kevin from J33P's Willys (12volt and a soft top). These guys got pretty much every where all the hardcore uber bling kit did but for pennies. Chris's motor was so basic there was nothing to damage.

Off roading is about fun, not about pot hunting or uber bling.

Andy, I know exactly what I would do if I were you:

Fit the spare wheel of your ibex on the back door and have a good look at the loadbay to see how easy you can fit some seats in that.

You have done so much work to it, I personally would not part of it. Its a great piece of kit. You could downgrade it even by fitting smaller tyres but thats it. Job done!

Daan

Andy

this whole topic is the reason I built the Range Rover LSE

(blowing up the engine was not planned)

RRC are cheap as

I have a LSE braker in my Drive feeding it with parts

I had loads of cool bits left ov3er from a totaled challenge truck

I lost my intrest in competing with challengers..

Did this a few years ago. Bought a S11a Trialler off a mate for 200 notes, got an MOT on it and went back to my roots. You would not believe what fun it is but by god it's hard work. I was kn&ckered at the end of the day and it tok a week to recover.

I drove a mates Series 3 offroad a while back and that half killed me. Like you say though Dave excellent fun.

We used to use a mates rollcaged S2 for laughs and all drive it back to back around the same course it was an absolute riot and the most competitive form of motorsport you can have as nobody has an advantage, its purely down to ability.

13th.jpg

I would be very tempted by a Series V8 trialler at the moment, I am dreading one turning up on my travels as I will end up with a lot of explaining to do ;)

Will :)