Wanted iX104 Mil Spec Tablet PC

Yeah Ok,................. a tad of a poke in the dark :lol:

But

Has anyone got one, .............or anything similar pref with a Digitized Pen ..... ?

.......that they might like to swap for ooooodels of my hard earned money :) ?

Nige

I have a motion-computing tablet that i use for work (LE1600), apart from being a bit slow on processor, its very nice.

they also do smaller models.

www.motioncomputing.com

what do you want it for? In-4x4 navigation etc? Theres other options - I have built several in-car PCs as hobby.

HOSS

I'm doing the same, as in in car PC. Due to space or lack of it I have sourced a laptop hard drive but the ribbon cable from the motherboard has a different No of pins. Is there a conversion ribbon cable or do I have to source a new HD?

HFH

Sorry for thread hijack

Its wanted for the 90 :)

I wnat to have GPS and also handy to also be able to have for Megasquirt Megatune :)

The one I have mentioned is basically one of the more "Off Road Proof" :lol:,

rubber case - bounces,

waterproof Mil Spec - can be submerged for around 30 mins, hence why suitable :P

Not sure if the Motion PCs are just tablets without the waterproof / rubberized stylee ?

Nige

Nige - Toughbook! CF-27 will do what you want with XP Lite on it, or go for a slightly higher specced one (CF-29) you can go all the way up to modern hi-spec ones but some of the new ones are a bit flimsy in comparison.

Why digi pen? It'll get lost, and trying to use a touch-screen/pen in a moving vehicle is not so much fun...

Walfy - laptop HDD's have 44-pin connectors, the extra 4 pins are for the power. IIRC Maplins sell adapters, if not I can ask Top Secret Dave as he has a way of plugging just about anything into just about anything else :lol: he has some groovy IDE-to-CF-card adapters, stick a 4Gb CF card in and you have a solid-state hard drive B)

Walfy - laptop HDD's have 44-pin connectors, the extra 4 pins are for the power. IIRC Maplins sell adapters, if not I can ask Top Secret Dave as he has a way of plugging just about anything into just about anything else :lol: he has some groovy IDE-to-CF-card adapters, stick a 4Gb CF card in and you have a solid-state hard drive B)

FF

It's being built to a budget ;) . Any option needs to be cheap. I'm now at the stage of bolting it all together. I have it all fitted inside an enclosure and this is the next hurdle to get over. Then I have to lengthen the cables from the touchscreen to PC. Will look at ext cables for the existing cables.

As I understand it not fully waterproof, but why throw it in a pond.

I have mine at dash level so its quite high up and I use it for laning and take it out at challenge events.

They are certainly splashproof and you can get keyboard covers to help a bit more.

They take a fair bump, I've seen one vanish out the window and still just carry on.

I think the test is three feet onto concrete, mine took it with no problems.

If you want to just look at one pop in one night and we'll go through them.

but why throw it in a pond.

Its my new hobby :P

No, seriously its as I thought.

I guess the iX104 I'm trying to find is sort of 2Bomb Proof", I could mount in the cab, doors off and not worry one jot re mud water etc, even wah it off with a hose, the CFs I now know (ta) that you can't be this daft with, but are much tougher than a std laptop.

Alsp not having a keyboard means having a smaller unit - ie just the screen, which has a built in keyboard accessable via the screen.

I may take you up on you offer Nige, but I would like to see if I can find a Milspec tablet too :)

Nige

Ive driven over my CF27 on more than a few occasions, dropped it off the cab roof onto concrete, thrown it at people (more than once) and although I wouldnt like to submerse it fully it survives water splashes/cans of beer/coke etc pretty well (especially if you get one with the case covers on). you could stuff it somewhere dry in the cab, get a £1 membrane keyboard (completely waterpoof) from eblag and a remote monitor if that takes your fancy ? whole system then for £not-a-lotta-cash :)

Dave reckons he's tried most of the toughbook competitors and doesn't rate them, he isn't easy on his technology:

IMGP0836.JPG

There were a lot of toughbooks at Ladoga, and not a lot else except for Garmins which are submersible. My CF27 and 25 both put up with rain, mud, etc. with no problems - realistically exactly how wet are you expecting to get the thing - if it's underwater you have bigger worries than either your fuel map or your exact GPS location surely?

Nige, I'd have tried Hughes Hill but their web site seems to be down or else they're pushing up daisies. They used to do ruggidised, waterproof tablet PC's to order for less than you'd imagine.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

Can you post up their webaddress (in case it comes back on ioline) and do you have a tel number / adress location etc so I can see if I can find them ?

Nige

Hughes Hill.

Is that not the bloke who co-pilots for Gigglepin. He also used to operate out of Jim's offroad shop. It'd be worth giving Jenny a call who runs the shop for Jim. Can't give yo a number as er indoors decided it would be a good idea to drown my new phone in a cup of coffee 2 days ago :angry: :angry:

If the above is wrong I accept no blame what so ever :D . If nothing else you'll have a nice chat to Jenny :D :D

Hughes Hill.

Is that not the bloke who co-pilots for Gigglepin. He also used to operate out of Jim's offroad shop. It'd be worth giving Jenny a call who runs the shop for Jim. Can't give yo a number as er indoors decided it would be a good idea to drown my new phone in a cup of coffee 2 days ago :angry: :angry:

If the above is wrong I accept no blame what so ever :D . If nothing else you'll have a nice chat to Jenny :D :D

Walfy, I think you might be right. I know Jim certainly uses one of their systems.

Hughes Hill.

I'm afraid your have to speak to the man himself Bren as Jenny's on hol's....... 01732 464393 shop

What's this - a wanted ad escaped from the classifieds :o It will be making a break for total freedom by attempting a leap over the barbed wire on a bike in a minute.

One of our kittens recently had an incredible attack of diarrhoea over my CF27 but both seemed to have survived intact. Really :lol:

My mate Neil just bought two Tough books off Ebay for next to nothing.... 45 quid each. The seller said that they were both good but when they arrived one of them was stuffed and the other was completely missing the hard drive!

Now he's having difficulty in getting a refund.

If you see any offered for sale on Ebay...be wary.

Nige,

I've got a ruggedised tablet...

Rough specs are touchscreen, windows XP, 256mb ram, 10Gb HD

Complete with 12Gb of 1:25k mapping for the UK

Any interest?

Ross

Ooooo Yes :)

Can you PM me with sort of £s you thinking of.

Also when you say touch screen is thatvia the pen or just touch the screen type ?

Nige