differences between td5/300 90 chassis

jericho

How ,at a glance ,would you tell the difference between a defender 90 300 tdi chassis and a defender 90 td5 chassis?

Where are the chassis numbers stamped?

Would the chassis numbers easily distinguish the two?

I seem to have carelessly bought a Q plate defender on ebay (oops!).The seller says it was a 300tdi P reg re-chassied with a td5 90 chassis and then the engine was replaced (swapped for another 300).I would like to try to verify the story before handing over the cash.

Any suggestions? (and its too late to say don't do it)

Thanks, Jerry.

Guest diesel_jim

Sometimes the rear crossmember is slightly different (the round "PTO" hole has a nice rim to the edge of it)

possibly rear fuel tank mounting brackets as the Td5 has a rear mounted tank and the 300 is side mounted (UK spec anyway)

crawl underneath and see if there is evidence of welding... the engine mounts would have to have been changed, as would the tank mounting brackets.

Give it a bl&&dy good snatch tow if the towing hitch comes off then it is a Td5 one :D joking aside the Td5 type will have threaded holes for the tow hitch while a Tdi one you would push the bolts through to the inside and put nuts on.

Chassis number is somewhere around the steering box IIRC

If it was the blue Hardtop Q reg 90 that was on EBay....

Then it has a Td5 rear crossmember, so stands a good chance of being a Td5 chassis.

I would check for welding around the drives chassis leg - where the engine number should be... to see if its had a new front section to hide any old chassis numbers (or had an old VIN number welded up)

Ian

Sometimes the rear crossmember is slightly different (the round "PTO" hole has a nice rim to the edge of it)

possibly rear fuel tank mounting brackets as the Td5 has a rear mounted tank and the 300 is side mounted (UK spec anyway)

crawl underneath and see if there is evidence of welding... the engine mounts would have to have been changed, as would the tank mounting brackets.

I thought (read - I was told) that td5 and 300tdi engine mount brackets on the chassis were the same?