Anyone know about Tires?

Guest dew110CSW

Guest dew110CSW

Ok, I had a wierd tire problem with the OneTen the other day. I was driving over to see the Girlfriend when suddenly the steering went very weird, and it felt like I was driving over cats eyes. I went to try and pull off the road to check it out and the steering was really heavy, then when I stopped there was a definate lean towards the drivers side (Besides the fat git in the seat!)

I got out, looked and the drivers front was flat. Completley. Now it was fine when I left the house as I always check them before I set off (especially that distance) and was solid enough. Now going over it with a fine toothed comb there is not a hole in it, and it all seems on the bead perfectly, but the valve has vanished completley (Tubeless BFG Trac Edges).

Now anyone know what might of caused this, and if it's fixable and an idea of how much?

This also taught me I really do not feel 100% faith in the LR Jack.

Throw that away and get yourself something like a 10 ton bottle jack. Much more use and a lot easier to carry in the truck, and they don't cost too much.

It depends how long you drove on it in a deflated state and how fast you were going at the time.

When it goes into the tyre place, ask them to remove the tyre and look inside for damage. You might just get away with it !

New valve, re-balance, would be cheap, no more than a tenner from branded tyre place......

The cause? Anyones guess, but one scenario that I have seen is a valve that must've caught on something (the dust cap had gone and there were marks up the stem). I had a slow leak somewhere and when I checked I found that although this valve looked ok, but when I moved it around to check it there was a hissing if I pulled it 'outwards'. It turned out that the valve rubber was split nearly half way through at the base where it goes through the rim... I think in time or at speed it might well have come away completely... One situation where a spare wins over an electric pump and a bottle of goo!

TwoSheds

the valve has vanished completley (Tubeless BFG Trac Edges).

Now anyone know what might of caused this, and if it's fixable and an idea of how much?

They stopped making BFG Trac-edges when you were still in short trousers, so how do you know that they are fitted tubeless? Did you see/oversee the fitting or are you basing your statement on the fact that it says "tubeless" on the tyre? The reason that I ask is that it is common for the valve of an inner-tube to disappear inside the tyre when you get a flat - and a lot of Landrover wheels are tube type wheels or are tube-less wheels fitted with tubes. Not being able to see a hole does not mean that there is not one - although a tube fitted in a tubeless wheel/tyre will often get a puncture just from abrading on the inside. Take it to a grown-up and get them to take a look.

You were using the supplied chock were you?

Chris

They stopped making BFG Trac-edges when you were still in short trousers, so how do you know that they are fitted tubeless? Did you see/oversee the fitting or are you basing your statement on the fact that it says "tubeless" on the tyre? The reason that I ask is that it is common for the valve of an inner-tube to disappear inside the tyre when you get a flat - and a lot of Landrover wheels are tube type wheels or are tube-less wheels fitted with tubes. Not being able to see a hole does not mean that there is not one - although a tube fitted in a tubeless wheel/tyre will often get a puncture just from abrading on the inside. Take it to a grown-up and get them to take a look.

You were using the supplied chock were you?

Chris

What Chris said, sounds like a tube which has disappeared inside to me. Tubed tyres deflate very quickly which is one reason I prefer tubeless...

Guest dew110CSW
Any more news on this Dew? Do they have tubes in? And what caused the puncture?

Chris

Haven't had time (or money) to get it into a tire place to have a look yet.

Had bfg track edges on my truck for 5 years, tubless tyre on tube rims with tubes not a problem. are they on std defender rims, cos I think rims of that vintage (maybe still) are all tubed.in which case the tyre went down with the tube and running it flat rotated the tube and pulled the valve inside the cover. Had a puncture in mine the other day, and the tube just split(perished through age I guess) but it was in the ribbed bands so put new tube in. OR

When you ran over the CAT'S EYES, he manged to pull the valve out with his teeth just before the end!!! could says it was puss in boots!! :lol: