tub lining

jameslwt

Has anyone had any experience of using a diy truck bed liner? As in the stuff the americans coat the truck beds of their pick ups with? I think its a polymer based coating or similar. Just thinking about tidying up the tub on my 110 hardtop, and maybe reducing noise as well, but think carpet/matting/whatever will encourage corrosion?

Or is there something better out there? (read that as cheap but does the job!) Some other magical paint etc?

Cheers :D

James

Hiya,

I did mine with rhino liner approx 2 years ago.

I'm happy with it, easy to apply, make sure you prep well. key surface, wipe with acetone or xylene then roller on in one direction. After 1 hour roller on another coat in other direction 90 degrees.

Very grippy, stops stuff sliding around.

Not ideal if you want comfort in the rear tub, it is very rough to the touch. Kneepads definitely required for greenlane backscuttling! :ph34r::lol:

Hiya,

I did mine with rhino liner approx 2 years ago.

I'm happy with it, easy to apply, make sure you prep well. key surface, wipe with acetone or xylene then roller on in one direction. After 1 hour roller on another coat in other direction 90 degrees.

Very grippy, stops stuff sliding around.

Not ideal if you want comfort in the rear tub, it is very rough to the touch. Kneepads definitely required for greenlane backscuttling! :ph34r::lol:

Just had a look on the web and theres no mentrion of diy.

Anyone tried this protectakote version, or other ideas? Thinking it might work on the inside of the sankey as well...... :ph34r::ph34r:

Yes I've used protectakote quite a bit.

I really like it. I put it on a little foot bridge over a sluice at a watermill which people use to stand on and clear out plants / logs etc, and its still there (and grippy) about 5 years later. That was onto wood.

For metal it works very nicely too, but I have found surface prep to be important - make sure its got something to key into and its properly clean.

I love the stuff!

Brett has a point though, its seriously grippy - to the point of grazing you if you let it. It'll be mpossible to slide anything that isn't very smooth around inthe back of the landy after you're done, which is a double edged sword...

Cheers, Al.

Yes I've used protectakote quite a bit.

I really like it. I put it on a little foot bridge over a sluice at a watermill which people use to stand on and clear out plants / logs etc, and its still there (and grippy) about 5 years later. That was onto wood.

For metal it works very nicely too, but I have found surface prep to be important - make sure its got something to key into and its properly clean.

I love the stuff!

Brett has a point though, its seriously grippy - to the point of grazing you if you let it. It'll be mpossible to slide anything that isn't very smooth around inthe back of the landy after you're done, which is a double edged sword...

Cheers, Al.

Ahh good point Al, especially as spare is in back lying in bed. May be ways around it I guess!

I bought some heavy duty paint from a military surplus store a couple of years ago, it's used to coat the inside of water/oil tanks (and a load of other stuff too). It's mixed with epoxy resin, and is really quite tough, the instructions say it will hold acid and alkaline liquids at some stupid temperature.

Benefit is you can paint the entire tub on about £10.

However it is fairly slippy, and it's a ghastly colour, so may well need coating with something a bit more friendly.

I bought some heavy duty paint from a military surplus store a couple of years ago, it's used to coat the inside of water/oil tanks (and a load of other stuff too). It's mixed with epoxy resin, and is really quite tough, the instructions say it will hold acid and alkaline liquids at some stupid temperature.

Benefit is you can paint the entire tub on about £10.

However it is fairly slippy, and it's a ghastly colour, so may well need coating with something a bit more friendly.

I'm liking the sound of that. (especially the cost!! :rolleyes: )

Was it just any old military surplus store?

Just had a look on the web and theres no mentrion of diy.

Anyone tried this protectakote version, or other ideas? Thinking it might work on the inside of the sankey as well...... :ph34r::ph34r:

My bad James, mine is Protectakote, memory isn't what it used to be. :rolleyes:

I bought 1 large & 1 small tin to do my rear tub, can't remember the sizes in litres. FYI 1 large tin is easily enough.

Brett

I'm liking the sound of that. (especially the cost!! :rolleyes: )

Was it just any old military surplus store?

Yep, I picked it up from my local one "Bogey Knights"

The product I picked up is Epigrip M251, it's actually just the primer but it's solid stuff. Recommended application is spray, but I brushed mine with no problems after a year.

Bit of data here on it (you may need to register) Leighs