Snorkel Set Ups

s2hotdog

My next project is to fit a southdown snorkle

I have a second hand one

I did want to fit it to the near side mainly cos my air filter is on that side at the moment :lol:

But of course the heater is in the way :angry:

So makes it difficult if not impossable :blink:

Other options are to move the air filter to off side or between engine and rad - I have a lecky fan and removed the fan housing

So whats your set up like - photos please

I have tried a quick search - but it brings up lots of posts due to Mr V Snorkle ;)

BTW its a disco 200tdi in a td 90

Cheers

Steve

Are you sure the heater isn't on the nearside (near the kerb)?

Duh, isnt that what he said?

Theres some pics of my gashed up snorkel in my 90 thread (link in my sig), which has the same engine and airfilter placement as you do

Are you sure the heater isn't on the nearside (near the kerb)? I think all the pedals and gubbins are in the way on the driver's (off) side.

Turbo - sorry I realised I had written off side then edited it immeadialy - you were to quick off the mark for me.

Not that I have any experience of it, but some people find that a snorkel on the driver's side can be quite obstructive to your view......

Thats one of the reasons for putting it on the nearside

Steve

My next project is to fit a southdown snorkle

I have a second hand one

I did want to fit it to the near side mainly cos my air filter is on that side at the moment :lol:

But of course the heater is in the way :angry:

Southdown snorkel should fit on the nearside no bother. Its where mine is on a 90 with 200TDi.

Snorkel will drop down through the wing just outside the forward of the heater and the flexi then runs down under the heater and out to your air filter.

Lewis

Had a look at your thread - I want to keep my crappy heater so not quite so easy as yours - great fab by the way.

Thinking that I can just about bend some flexy tube between the heater and wing under the bonnet

Anybody tried this?

Steve

I had to have a rethink after the rollcage went on so did this -

weeRAI.jpg

Seemed the shortest easiest route and the easiest to keep an eye on as far as water/muck ingress goes.

From the mushroom to the bonnet elbow is Rebel

The elbow through the bonnet is Stainless from an exhaust manufacturer.

below the bonnet os the standard flexi that originally connected to the wing intake.

The bonnet elbow is loose but holds tight between the heater and washer as you shut the bonnet.

Will :)

Turbo - sorry I realised I had written off side then edited it immeadialy - you were to quick off the mark for me.

Phew. I just re-read it and thought I'd had a "senior moment".

My snorkel's on the nearside and spaced away from the cage (despite the filter on the offside of the engine!). It's still a visual obstruction over there (but I can see between the screen pillar and cage, and the cage and the snorkel). I wouldn't like to mount it on the driver's side in the same way but if it was outboard of the screen pillar and tight in, it might be shadowed by the pillar and be less obstructive? Time for some experiments with drainpipe and sticky tape for you methinks.

Southdown snorkel should fit on the nearside no bother. Its where mine is on a 90 with 200TDi.

Snorkel will drop down through the wing just outside the forward of the heater and the flexi then runs down under the heater and out to your air filter.

Trev

Sounds like just what I want to do - don't happen to have a photo or 2 do you?

Steve

Nothing to hand but I'll see what pics I can take/post up tomorrow so you've got them for the weekend.

Do you have the old airbox/vent sat under the heater on the nearside wing? If so removing all this is a good place to start and gives yo space/access to work.

Nothing to hand but I'll see what pics I can take/post up tomorrow so you've got them for the weekend.

Do you have the old airbox/vent sat under the heater on the nearside wing? If so removing all this is a good place to start and gives yo space/access to work.

That would be good - yes I have taken the air box out there is alot of space now :)

Steve

I have 200tdi Disco lump in my 90. If you go to the following thread and go down to the bottom, you should see a view of the engine bay and can see where I mounted my air filter and therefore see that the air intake comes from my Southdown snorkel on offside, along the length of the wing then comes across the engine bay between coolant tank and PAS bottle and straight into air filter.

Works well and avoided issues with the heater etc. I also had it on this side when it was a TD but just used a lot longer hose to take it around back of engine and into filter.

Engine install thread

Obviously depends what you did air filter wise if this is of any interest.

Cheers,