15 amp plug?

jameslwt

I bought a clarke 151te mig from Andy (soa93) about a month ago, and started to have a play yesterday. All is fine, but it does say in the Instruction book in should be run off a 230 volt 50hz supply with a 15amp fuse rating.

It also says a standard 13amp plug should not be used.

There was no plug on it when I got it, so....

Where can I get a 15amp plug from, and come anyone explain the detail a bit more? Will I be able to run this off a standard household supply? Had a play on google etc but not much joy so far! :ph34r:

Cheers

James

Stick a standard 13 amp plug on it with a 13 amp fuse and it'll be fine. If you overload anything it'll just blow the fuse.

My 180 amp mig runs fine off this and only occasionally blows fuses (usually if things have gone a bit blobby and it shorts straight to the workpiece).

Otherwise your only option is to fit a 16Amp commando socket and plug and run with these, but the plugs are not fused, so you'd need to correctly wire it back to the MCB. I'm not an electrician, so am not sure how it'd need to be wired in. Perhaps someone on here can advise?

Cheers

Jon

I "think" thay are the ones that look like the yellow 110v connectors, but are blue (and a slightly different pin configuration) known as 16A 230v.

There is no provision for a fuse in them so you'll have to rely on a fuse/circuit breaker further up the line.

I would have thought if the welder was capable of 130A you would get away with a standard 13A plug though :ph34r:

I "think" thay are the ones that look like the yellow 110v connectors, but are blue (and a slightly different pin configuration) known as 16A 230v.

There is no provision for a fuse in them so you'll have to rely on a fuse/circuit breaker further up the line.

I would have thought if the welder was capable of 130A you would get away with a standard 13A plug though :ph34r:

It seemed to run fine with the 13amp plug, so unless I hear otherwise I'll stick with that I guess.

You're right - the blue ones are 16amp - as used in caravans, boats etc, and definately no fuse in them! (used to work in a yacht marina and we used to have great fun if 1 blew - they all went. Joy )

I used to run my 160 Amp mig off a 13 amp plug. I don't recall ever blowing a fuse, it was always the MCB that tripped, cutting all power to the garage. I used to keep a torch nearby so that when it went I could navigte my way out round all the sharp sticking out off-cuts of metal etc to sort it out. It was a real PITA.

You can see the blue commandos I put in for 230V here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7399

Glad I've got it all sorted now.

Just run it with the 13 Amp fuse, and be prepared to be plunged into darkness at any moment!

What is the max amperage of the welder? (Probably quoted on the plate as 'I2' at 35% duty cycle).

If you blow fuses, try a slow-blow one instead?

Cheers, Al.

I used to run my 160 Amp mig off a 13 amp plug. I don't recall ever blowing a fuse, it was always the MCB that tripped, cutting all power to the garage. I used to keep a torch nearby so that when it went I could navigte my way out round all the sharp sticking out off-cuts of metal etc to sort it out. It was a real PITA.

You can see the blue commandos I put in for 230V here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7399

Glad I've got it all sorted now.

Just run it with the 13 Amp fuse, and be prepared to be plunged into darkness at any moment!

I'

What is the max amperage of the welder? (Probably quoted on the plate as 'I2' at 35% duty cycle).

If you blow fuses, try a slow-blow one instead?

Cheers, Al.

I'll be off to but up stock of 13amp fuses then! We had it on full chat last night and it only blew it once.

Cheers guys

Screwfix have the 16amp blue plugs and sockets - not expensive.

I had an extra 32A circuit breaker put in my consumer unit which directly feeds the welder via an isolator. Probably could have simply put a 13A plug on it but I didn't want to overload the downstairs ring main.

If the unit is old, then the instructions probably refer to the old UK round pin 15A plugs (pre '70's)

As people have said, it is safe to run from a 13A as long as you put a 13A fuse in there.

If that blows too often, then you need another solution.

The next step would be to use the 16A round euro plugs (blue for 230V). But you must install a 16A circuit breaker on a spur. (this is what i have in my workshop).