Patchy underseal 2 update

I was wondering why LR do not offer a galv chassis as an option? It may cost a few ££ more but i'm sure its an option that many buyers would go for (I would). It would be easy to do at time of manufacture as well.

I would also be putting a decent quantity of Dinatrol inside the chassis as well as the outside if I got a new LR that I intended keeping for a while.

I will have a look at the 'Land Rover Experience' one to see what the chassis looks like after some extensive use.

I was wondering why LR do not offer a galv chassis as an option? It may cost a few ££ more but i'm sure its an option that many buyers would go for

As MOG says - 'Not in their intrest to do so'

I'd have paid extra for one though.

Mine is going in on Friday for the snag list which includes the underseal so I'll let you know how I get on.

Not much different than they have been for a number of years, in fact I think this one is probably finished a bit better (apart from the underseal).

I still don't understand why they don't have galvanised cappings. I think they came back late in TD5 production and then stopped again.

I've seen an 05 with them (painted over of course) by my 55 does not have them. Just points to penny pinching to me, like the carp underseal coverage.

Moan over. :)

Rich

Mine is going in on Friday for the snag list which includes the underseal so I'll let you know how I get on.

Update time.

I have to say that although the poor marks I'd give to Lancaster Sales Dept (only the female I dealt with and her manager who didn't even return my calls) their service dept continues to be excellent so far.

New discs / pads were fitted, seat adjusted but not perfect (rearmost catch tight) so new frame on order. Rattle still not gone from brake pads so LR asked for ideas.

Lancaster agreed that the factory underseal wasn't as good as I should expect and have said they will take it in for a couple of days when the seat fram arrives and get their bodyshop to steam clean the underside and fully wax treat it.

Can't ask for better than that really.

I'll keep you all advised.

• 1 month later...

A old thread i know, but maybe the best place to post this bulletin from landrover !!

Date: 15th October, 2007

Bulletin No: LRHUB111

Circulation: Global Marketing, Lead Agencies, Operations, NSCs, Importers, Aftersales, Regional Agencies

Dear Colleague

As part of our commitment to continually improve our product and processes a study has been undertaken on improving the protection of the underside of the vehicle.

The under body waxing was originally applied to Defender to prevent the underbody fixings, the chassis and the underbody panels from corrosion and stone chipping. In 2005, improvements to the chassis frame, fixings and paint process further enhanced the corrosion protection for the chassis area which resulted in only bare metal parts being treated to body waxing which were the most susceptible parts to surface corrosion in transit.

A further improvement to Defender has now been developed which involves the fitting of two under trays to the underside of the vehicle which will provide the floor panels of the seat base with protection from stone chipping. In addition to the fitting of an under tray all Defender chassis will now be subject to the same processes in our paint facility as Discovery and Range Rover Sport.

As underbody waxing is not designed to stay on for the lifetime of the vehicle, the result of these improvements will provide improved quality to the underbody of the vehicle as the fixings and the addition of the under trays means the vehicle can withstand corrosion and stone chippings.

Therefore from mid to late October 2007, we will no longer apply the under body waxing. Once this change has been implemented I will communicate the effective vin number.

Kind regards

XXXXX XXXXXh

Defender Product Manager

xxxxxx4 at landrover.com

A further improvement to Defender has now been developed which involves the fitting of two under trays to the underside of the vehicle which will provide the floor panels of the seat base with protection from stone chipping. In addition to the fitting of an under tray all Defender chassis will now be subject to the same processes in our paint facility as Discovery and Range Rover Sport.

Thanks Tim.

Interesting. Under trays - hmmmm

So what additional paint processes do the Discovery and RRS get that Def's don't?

According to my local main dealer the chassis's on the 07 models are 'prepared and treated' in a way that means the protective coating over the paint isn't now required :rolleyes:

The underbody on mine has just been done at the dealer's bodyshop (collected last Sat) and I have to say they have done a very neat job :i-m_so_happy: