Turbo Timer?

just let the engine idle for a bit before shutting down to give the turbo chance to slow down with a good oil feed.

Cheer's western I do that anyway, but the added advantage to the timer is it will do it for you for an exact amount of time everytime.

The main reason I asked is because I used to have a twin turbo RX-7 with a timer fitted, the timer allowed me to set how many seconds I wanted the engine to idle after I had switched the off the engine at the ignition. The timer would also only kick in the the engine was at a certain temperature.

I dont think I'll bother with one as our turbo's are much lower pressure turbo's to that of performnace cars, I'm just curious to know if anyone has done it???

Just one thing to keep in mind, in the UK, it's illegal to leave a vehicle unattended with it's engine running in a public place except for vehicles that need the engine running to power onboard equipment, i.e. power take off water pumps, hydraulics, wnches.

I've seen the timers advertised & while it's a good idea I don't think LR turbo's need them, if they did I'm sure LR would fit from new or offer as a option.

I've heard that 200TDi's especially benefit from being idled for a little bit especially after a high-speed run. There must be a simple time-delay relay or such from Maplins or RS that would do it (hell a 555 timer and a transistor would do it), after all it's just got to keep the fuel solenoid open.

Whatever you do, I'd stick a "hard" kill switch in there, last thing you want in an accident (EG rollover) is being unable to kill the engine. I'd even go as far as to have to push a button when turning the car off to make it run on.

If I am driving in town with little load or boost I don't worry about it, if its been run at high speed/load on the motorway I let it idle for a minute or two.

Its really high out put petrol engines that you need to be careful with, I've had turbine housings on RS Cosworths glow bright cherry red and you would have to let them idle for 5 minutes or more or run them off boost before shutting down. Never used a timer but then I never really left them parked unattended.

Possibly a slight thread hijack but staying in the same area, the turbo lube kit that Agriemech do, seems to be a small reservoir that filles while driving & empties out when the oil pressure drops. Anyone fitted one?, is this how they work? Plenty of guys have Turbo timers in NZ but I've never considered them essential, wouldn't mind something a bit simpler for SWMBO who tends toward the impatient side & strenuously resists attempts at education. :angry: :angry:

Steve.

It's just a hydraulic accumulator with a 12v solenoid on the end so it releases pressure on switch-off isn't it?

Surely if the turbo timer was automatic you wouldn't need to educate the missus, other than making sure she doesn't leave it in gear :ph34r:

I always allow the engine to idle for a while before turning off but could never go for an automatic option as firstly I always park it in gear and secondly, the FIA master-switch which I have always used & fitted would kill the engine anyway.

Guest dew110CSW

Something I was always told to do with Turbo cars, I always let the OneTen idle for about a minute. Don't need a timer it's easy enough to remember.

Something I was always told to do with Turbo cars, I always let the OneTen idle for about a minute. Don't need a timer it's easy enough to remember.

Do you know how long a minute is to a girly girl with places to go & things to do, its like forever :lol: :lol:

Steve.

Guest dew110CSW
Do you know how long a minute is to a girly girl with places to go & things to do, its like forever :lol: :lol:

Steve.

It's less than the time it'd be off the road with a popped turbo...