Slipping Clutch?

In the twenty (or so B) ) years I've been driving I have never had a clutch fail - been lucky I guess - so I haven't got a clue what the symptoms feel like. However the 90 has started to be reluctant to pull away and shudders (at times badly) when letting the clutch out , so would I be right in saying the clutch is slipping ?

Not really what I would expect after only 18k miles , ( alright I know, it's a Land Rover)

Well tried what you both said (not on a hill :P ) and the clutch doesn't appear to be slipping, any other ideas?

If the plate is contaminated I would have thought the juddering would have been constant ? but it seems to come and go, it was very bad again this morning but now seems ok again.

I had very similar symptoms with ujs up the spout. The juddering was particularly noticeable during the first few minutes of warming up; when turning most of all. I had checked them before too, no sign of trouble at first, although, in time, the bearings were noticeably slack. I've had to replace one propshaft now too, as it seems that only crud in the splines was making it look as though it was in good condition at the sliding joint. I'd say worth a careful check.

Mark

Try disconnecting the clutch sensor you'll find it plugged into the top of your slave cylinder you might find thats faulty and providing a false reading mines permenantly disconnected.

you will get better throttle response too and no change in clutch pedal travel in low box

i thought the sensor on the T box dictated the hi/low pedal response and the one on top of the clutch was just the anit-shunt function (eg held engine revs high when clutch was depressed rather than letter them drop as per normal)

Sensor on t/box alters throttle mapping in low range

Sensor on clutch controls anti-shunt which is the "delay"

However if you have a vehicle with the horrible "throttle delay" unplugging the clutch sensor disables the anti shunt and makes the engine do what the pedal tells it to. It also makes it far more "jerky" to drive - a matter of personal preference really. My personal preference for solving the problem is not to get a Td5 :lol: I don't know why they can't get the throttle response right as many other diesel engines use electronic throttles these days, Td4, TdV6 both drive like a "normal" engine i.e. the engine does what the pedal tells it to all the time without the electronics deciding they know best!